Advice needed: First bike + insurance + ??? - HD LiveWire Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 05-03-2019, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Advice needed: First bike + insurance + ???

Hey all. I've been wanting a bike for years now and think I'm finally going to pull the trigger at the end of the year when my finances are better. I still need to get my Class M so may do that this summer.

I've always wanted to join the Harley club as I love the amount of respect & road/biker etiquette you all have for each other. I have a few questions if you don't mind

What would be the best bike to start off with? Nothing too too expensive but with a decent amount of speed. Heard good things about the Iron 883? I don't know anything about it (pardon the ignorance).

2) On average, how much is insurance for a bike? I guess that's been my biggest hold off as I've always assumed it cost as much as a regular car

3) What are the most common biker etiquettes? I see bikers do a quick hand wave when passing by each other. One time someone on a bike was in an accident and there was a large group of bikers on the side of the road out of respect. Just those types of things I'd like to learn more about so I don't look like an idiot on the road
post #2 of 2 Old 05-03-2019, 07:04 PM
eHD

I have a buddy with a 883 and he has nothing but good things to say about it. He comes from a CBR600.

A lot factors into the insurance rate you get. He pays about $375 a year with State Farm but fits the demographic for a cheaper rate (older, far out from the city, etc.)

You can learn a lot of etiquettes from riders that vlog on youtube. Articles help but I put more value in someone putting themselves out there

Lots of those guys can be found.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HD LiveWire Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page