Perspective on the LiveWire's Battery - HD LiveWire Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 06-20-2014, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Perspective on the LiveWire's Battery

I know many have been crucifying the Livewire based on its diminished range versus the serial production electric bikes. Where those criticisims go awry however is in assuming that the livewire is a preproduction bike. Its not, its a concept at best, a functioning concept or a production concept if you wish.

Point being that the Livewire will not be on sale for several more years. In those several more years battery technology is expected to grow in leaps and bounds, Graphene, supercapacitors, rapid charging and improved regenerative capabilities are all in the cards. What it means is that Harley built the Live wire to behave and feel like the eventual production bike will. Batterys will become a fiar bit lighter and have far better energy density. There was no need for harley to build the Livewire with a heavy battery pack when the production model will have a much lighter pack regardless.

Its not meant to show you what e-bikes can do, Its meant to show you what they could and should do... sometime down the road that is...

post #2 of 7 Old 06-20-2014, 06:01 PM

You really think its going to be several years before this comes to market. I would hope that it is a bit sooner than that. The range is slightly disappointing but its not the end of the world. I hope that they are able to get it to go a bit further by the time its on sale though.

Do you think that Harley is just piggy backing off other companies tech, or have they been putting money into researching batteries themselves?
post #3 of 7 Old 06-21-2014, 02:52 PM

It's hard to say with the limited information that we have on the Livewire right now. If they spend quite a few years perfecting all the technology in this than it may be all themselves, but if they want to move it to market sooner then they may buy batteries from another country. It seems to me from the whole testing and feedback thing that Harley is doing with the Livewire that Harley is trying to do all of this on its own though.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-23-2014, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The entire world is researching batteries right now. I'm not sure if you know how a motorbike is made but next to nothing is made in house, its all sourced from suppliers and then bolted together. What makes you think the Livewire should be any different?

post #5 of 7 Old 06-23-2014, 12:37 PM

I have noticed a lot of sources saying the same thing once they have analysed all that can be found about it and this sure does seem to be the case. Fortunately if this is the case then we might even see some improved tech come out that can be used on a production level on this bike.

post #6 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
^^ what are you saying?

post #7 of 7 Old 07-26-2014, 09:33 PM

I believe that reply was meant for a different thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HD LiveWire Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page