Livewire Forums banner

Livewire to Lead Entire Electric Range?

7K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  L!VE 
#1 ·
Could the Livewire be a launching point for a new range of electric bikes from HD? Consider Zero, they sell several differently packaged bikes to satisfy different market segments, could we not see HD behave the same way?

Big lumbering cruisers, VROD esque muscle bikes, sportier roadsters like the Livewire? Would be interesting to see...

#2 ·
I think that makes sense long term, but I'm sure that right now HD is keeping its expectations humble. First they have to take this concept to people and see what they think, and then eventually come out with a production version. If the first production model does well then they will have a good base to go on and build some other electric models.

#3 ·
I think this will happen but just that it won't happen for a long time. However I do believe when we reach to a point that these types of bikes are just as practical for a massive range of riders and speak well to a lot of their needs, then we will really see it expand. To start it might be best that they stick one bike and do it well, very well.

#5 ·
I was thinking about Harley making different weights of electric bikes, but I'm not sure that's really possible right now. Most of the weight comes from the batteries used. Bigger batteries will give more range, but also more weight. So its more about battery engineering instead of just reducing weight, or creating different weight classes of electric bikes. I think that is the big challenge they are facing right now.

#9 ·
Thats where this gets interesting, because story goes that harley built the bike to show what an electic bike could be in 5 years. Livewire is much more svelte than the Zero or Bimota yet it lacks on range. So what that says is that Harley went for the aesthetic and handling aspects over the hardcore realworld stuff. Those things can come later but yo have to excite people with form!

#15 ·
I feel like we are getting into semantics here. A barrier for Harley is both the capabilities of batteries and electric engines now, and also their price. Maybe the technology is there but its too expensive. but even then, that says something about the production process for creating those essential parts. Over the time the technology should get better and it should also reduce in price as there is more production infrastructure and advancements in production processes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.