Livewire Forums banner

130 Mile's is as far as the Harley LiveWire will take you...

12K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  eHD 
#1 ·
Ask yourself, is the 130 mile range enough? That's what you'll get with the Harley LiveWire. Recharging can take 30 minutes to a hour to complete.

#2 ·
Where did you get 130 miles from? Asphalt and Rubber is saying 50 miles...

Our guesstimate on battery pack size, judging from Harley’s quoted charge time and parameters, is somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 kWh nominal, a bit less than the 9.3 kWh and 10.0 kWh of the Brammo and Zero.

That means the Harley-Davidson Livewire is good for just over 50 miles of mixed city and highway riding that is limited to 92 mph (we’re not really sure how Harley-Davidson came up with that figure). Expect to go 0-60 in around 4 seconds.

#3 ·
Got it from Transport Evolved:

Top speed is apparently limited to 92 mph — again second-hand rather than straight from Harley-Davidson – and range isn’t disclosed officially in the press release either. As we’ve seen it quoted as being anything from 53 miles per charge all the way up to 130 miles per charge, so we’ve reached out to Harley-Davidson for clarification. Given other electric motorcycles on the market today are managing between 100 and 130 miles per charge, we’re hoping this all-electric hog is capable of a similar range. Anything less, and we’re doubtful it will meet with any demand.

#7 ·
@Junko, it definitely was.
I've seen mentions of supercapacitors for the future of electric vehicles, so it's also another possibility for a bike like this to get more range, possibly not something we'll see right away, although that would be awesome. So this bike apparently being years before it hits the road as a street legal production bike, we might be getting much closer to that new tech coming to bikes like this.

#8 ·
exactly, I think its a brilliant move. The Livewire is not saddled down with the big and heavy battery packs you see the Zero's and Brammo's weighed down with and that will add to the consumer experience. It would be piss poor brand management for Harley to of built the Livewire and then when ridden it was sluggish and heavy (becasue of the batterys) just like everything they currently sell.

People would be simply write it off as just another harley, but like this its a real punch in the nose, this is not your fathers harley.... ;)

http://www.hdlivewireforum.com/foru...ssion/970-perspective-livewire-s-battery.html

#9 ·
Its got to get to at least 100 miles range in order for it to be worthwhile. Being Canadian, I think about how miles are twice as long as kilometers, so being able to travel 200 km isn't too bad, as long as you plug it in once you get home at the end of the day. You won't be doing road trips but you can commute or go and do some errands easily.

#10 ·
One part of it is how much the range is good for actual function on a day to day basis. Can you make it to work and back? Can you go to multiple destinations during the day without returning home to charge?

The other part is how the bike's range compares to others. It has to be able to hold its own and compete with rivals or else people will probably look over the Livewire.

#12 ·
Here's and idea: removable battery. Harley establishes relationships with Quick Trip, Seven Eleven, Race Trak and the like. You pull in, give them your battery, pay a fee, and get a fully charged battery in return. Probably wouldn't take much more time than a normal fill up.

What convenience store wouldn't want the Harley Logo out front and the peripheral business it would bring?

#19 ·
My wife and I did extensive testing with both a Energica Eva 80 (claiming 70 miles at 70 mph) and a Zero DS 13ZF (also claiming 70 miles at 70 mph). We found both would give you 92-95 mile range in spirited back road riding (~50-60 mph). Rider weight does matter, as does your initial stop-light launches. So I see no reason that the Harley (with a similar 70 miles at 70 mph claim) will not deliver a reliable 92-95 mile range for most riders. Looking forward to being able to test ride one properly (full range ride).

#23 ·
#25 ·
Mostly posted my one-word reply to be an ass. 130 miles isn't a lot, but I'd bet that 130 miles is more than the vast majority of us ride on even a semi-regular basis. I wish my 'Wire had longer range because there are great roads in North Georgia that I'd love to ride without having to break for a fast charge or two. But realistically, I have a job and a bad back, so most of my riding ends up being around town.

So to sum it up, my short answer is "yes" and my long answer is also "yes," but with an explanation.

I love my Livewire. I think most people who ride it will love it as well. But if they don't, frankly, my fellow motorcycle enthusiast, I don't give a damn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.