Harley Defines the Livewire's target demographic - HD LiveWire Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 05-04-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
eHD

(Thread Starter)
Harley Defines the Livewire's target demographic

Recently a Harley CEO let it be known exactly who they're targeting with the Livewire and but simply, its for mass appeal, for everyone from new riders to experienced and even those that want to do the least bit of maintenance. Do you guys think this is how it will really play out or will we see a demographic that is more after the performance that comes with this technological advancement?

Quote:
“We are progressing to that plan and we are excited about that product. We continue to see electric vehicles as a tremendous opportunity,” CEO Matt Levatich told The Street when asked about the electric bike. “These motorcycles are easier to ride than bicycles, they lend themselves to urban environments where our product is maybe less targeted or less suited. They are suited to a generation of people that don’t have the mechanical depth of experience that maybe boomers had with manual transmissions and clutches.”
post #2 of 14 Old 05-09-2018, 01:06 PM

Harley needs to make sure the Livewire has enough range to stand up to its competition in this segment because nobody wants to be stranded. They'll also need to price it accordingly or else they could fail to attract younger buyers who are new or seasoned riders. The demographic they're aiming at is thrifty and trying to get the most bang for their buck.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-09-2018, 02:43 PM

I believe back when this concept was first shown off it was said to have around 100miles of range? There is going to be a lot more restrictions with battery size and capacity on a motorcycle for obvious weight and handling concerns. And to be honest I doubt this bike is going to be affordable for most younger riders.

post #4 of 14 Old 05-11-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
eHD

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
I believe back when this concept was first shown off it was said to have around 100miles of range? There is going to be a lot more restrictions with battery size and capacity on a motorcycle for obvious weight and handling concerns. And to be honest I doubt this bike is going to be affordable for most younger riders.
that all depends on what they have planned for EV bikes which could see the Livewire become more of median model than anything entry level
post #5 of 14 Old 05-16-2018, 12:26 PM

100 miles per charge doesn't seem enough, especially when riders are prone to stay on the roads more than expected. I've been on day trips where we were surprised with how far we've actually traveled. Time flies when you're having fun.

Problem with Harley bikes was the pricing premium compared to other bikes out there, and the same could happen with the LiveWire if it's too expensive no matter how forward thinking it is.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-25-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
eHD

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttler View Post
100 miles per charge doesn't seem enough, especially when riders are prone to stay on the roads more than expected. I've been on day trips where we were surprised with how far we've actually traveled. Time flies when you're having fun.

Problem with Harley bikes was the pricing premium compared to other bikes out there, and the same could happen with the LiveWire if it's too expensive no matter how forward thinking it is.
It can be enough depending on how long charge times take. A friend of mine has a brand new Chevy Bolt that gets 90 miles of charge in just 30 minutes. Not impressive but its the electric vehicle industry in its infancy. Tesla is working to get supercharger times within the 8-10 minute range.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-30-2018, 01:57 PM

We'll have to wait and see if HD can nail the LiveWire's performance, design and pricing because this is still relatively new territory for motorcycles and they need to be appealing to attract buyers. But there is hope because they don't have a lot of competition.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-03-2018, 12:44 PM

I mean there are already plenty of electric bikes on the market, but most of them are designated for commuting and wont have near the power output or specs of the Livewire. And alike most other electric vehicles, charging should be quite quick up to 80% capacity.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-04-2019, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
eHD

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
I mean there are already plenty of electric bikes on the market, but most of them are designated for commuting and wont have near the power output or specs of the Livewire. And alike most other electric vehicles, charging should be quite quick up to 80% capacity.
Give it time and Harley will catch up, being the brand they are, starting from the top and starting small is natural.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-07-2019, 09:26 AM

Harley doesn't have time to catch up. They've been bleeding money for years and moving production overseas isn't helping their image as an American brand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HD LiveWire Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in