Harley LiveWire Lithium-Ion Battery Discussion - Page 2 - HD LiveWire Forum
 1Likes

post #11 of 18 Old 07-13-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L!VE View Post
I know tesla wanted to setup charging stations that not only tesla owners can use but just about anyone, and they're going to start building them along main routes that take people from one major city to the other.
I think that the whole charging station thing is just a matter of companies deciding to go with one standardized plug instead of competing with each other and having a whole bunch of different plugs, kinda like what happened with cell phone chargers.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-13-2014, 01:40 PM

Well as soon as phones became 'smart' they needed to transfer data as well as power so the little usb ports were useful. Then the european union (i think) mandated standardized connectors. I liked the usb on my old pre-smart phone but can't stand the micro size usb's on my logitech products. Seems fragile and a pain in the ass to connect. Definitely favor Apple's Lightning connector for ease of use and durability.

Only way I see a singular design charging connection taking over is some company will have to dominate the market enough for everyone to just comply. The feds haven't been leading the way in the field and thusly haven't already developed a standard available for all to use. They might stick their noses in and mandate something, for better or worse.

Maybe with Tesla opening up their designs for other's use they may position themselves as the default standard by being the least expensive option for any startup or established manufacturer.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-14-2014, 01:21 PM

Tesla opening patents is more for the benfit of Tesla than anything. The infrastructue is difficult to justify but by opening the patents you now widen the scope of those operating on the same wavelength which makes it much easier to attempt to find a common solution. (read funding )

Personally many of the promised solutions to electrification sound entirely far fetched. Battery swaps, sure but we're not talking about a USB port, These batteries are dense and large, read HEAVY. I guess thats one way to goose the jobs number, give everyone a job at a electric "fuel" station as a pseudo NASCAR pit crew battery swapper.

This all requires energy and infrastructure... BIG TIME

post #14 of 18 Old 07-14-2014, 11:41 PM

No doubt that Tesla sees it to his advantage. If others see profit in it for themselves they will jump in. Making money is always a good motivator.

Now trying to picture Shell, Mobil, RaceTrack, etc recharge stations is difficult but believe that if/when the tide turns they will find some way to keep their money train rolling.

Of course any recharge option beyond a 110v outlet requires extra investment. I've never said building a new infrastructure would be cheap or easy. Lets face it, costs of travel are always going to get higher in all likelihood. It's really the only way we've gotten to this point. Otherwise no-one but the ultra green fanatics would looking at electric.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-15-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
No doubt that Tesla sees it to his advantage. If others see profit in it for themselves they will jump in. Making money is always a good motivator.

Now trying to picture Shell, Mobil, RaceTrack, etc recharge stations is difficult but believe that if/when the tide turns they will find some way to keep their money train rolling.

Of course any recharge option beyond a 110v outlet requires extra investment. I've never said building a new infrastructure would be cheap or easy. Lets face it, costs of travel are always going to get higher in all likelihood. It's really the only way we've gotten to this point. Otherwise no-one but the ultra green fanatics would looking at electric.
well and above all thats the big prohibiter IMO, if electric transportation wants any hope of success it needs to "beat" conventional mobility on price, something I personally don't see happening. Not when the infrastructure and manufacture of these "green" technologies are piggy backing on the "dirty" ones.

But then, like you said, it becomes a question of how high? Oil will continue to move upwards as net energy declines, but as net energy declines it has a multiplier on electric technologies that depend on back ground hydrocarbon inputs. And its not like running an electric vehicle is cost less, as more and more people load into electric vehicles its going to spike demand for electricity itself which will then start to see its price rise as demand increases. Then we need to ask is electricity dependant on hydrocarbons as well? Absolutely, so THAT is also subject to rising costs of hydrocarbons.

At the end of the day it may be more financially prudent to continue consuming hydrocarbons until they no longer exists. Especially if what's green is going to bleed you dry!

post #16 of 18 Old 02-03-2015, 02:56 PM

Beating conventional ways is the way to go.
Too bad that a lot of it depends on development of infrastructure here and we clearly know what the state of that is
post #17 of 18 Old 02-04-2015, 01:28 PM

It's reasons like the above that I like the approach of some of the big car makers out there that aren't trying to tackle the electric car segment like how others are, instead they're focusing on what is proven to work for years down the road.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-24-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking View Post
It's reasons like the above that I like the approach of some of the big car makers out there that aren't trying to tackle the electric car segment like how others are, instead they're focusing on what is proven to work for years down the road.
Are hybrid systems what you mean?
That is what's most appropriate for these times and for years to come.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HD LiveWire Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page