Livewire Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
No worries :) I'm not the right diagnostician for this stuff at all, at all. My go to tech expert for computers for example, my daughter in her late 20s, advises me that because I started computing with DOS and Windows 3.1 I simply don't expect things to work properly out of the box. I agree with her, and said that's like rotary dial telephones, Lucas electrics on British bikes, drum brakes on all bikes, and kickstarting a Norton Commando... She googled that combination for a few minutes and then looked at me with a pitying expression haha. She thinks Norton is an antivirus and Commando is a British army individual soldier designation. I advised that Commando is properly a unit designation from the days of the Boer War. She typed in Boar War... Ah well, generation gaps have always existed...

Back to the point, it would be very helpful if the H-D techs could chime in here and tell us whether when they get this problem presented to Service Departments for solving it turns out to be software, or hardware (as in dud-manufactured 12 V batteries for example). I have written a politely worded snail mail (by air) letter to HD asking for this, and any recommendations the manufacturer has to avoid this happening. As a previous email (a nice one, expressing my delight with the bike and hoping for better-range batteries down the line) to HD was ignored, I reckon a physical letter stands a better chance of getting opened and read.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Guys, I'm so bummed. My retired neighbor moving from Savannah to Florida just told me yesterday that he has been close friends with the former HD CEO for over 20 years, they are still close friends, and he would have had access to the top secret files on the Livewire so we could break this production code. Uggggggggg!

I hope HD understands we are the people launching them into the EV world, and maybe, just maybe, they could interact with us? I'm planning to send a snail mail letter myself, nicely worded, but asking bluntly why aren't we important enough to have at least someone from Harley Davidson jump in and discuss things with us?

Maybe the former CEO could contact the current CEO and make things more clear that there is a group of us who really deserve some attention? I'm not sharing the problems some are, but I feel for you guys and think this is big enough to warrant a conversation with Harley Davidson Staff.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I wonder where that lines up with pre-production models... since they are indicating badge numbers are the off the line numbers.

Mine is : 800228
despite 14/500 (marketing?)

• I try and stick to the 1 DCF per 4 slow charge rules. *obviously challenging when traveling long distances.
  • I charge at home mostly, however, I have charged at numerous 110/120v outlets in my area not just home
** one of those being a 100+ year old house where the electrical has only been updated to one outlet... took forever to find a grounded one.
  • I do use the DCF chargers pretty regularly on the weekend, as those are my longer ride days.
  • I never let me bike sit below 30% or above 70% - the only time it's outside those ranges are pre-ride (above 70%) or pre-DCF for a long ride (below 30%).
** I have my bike on a smart switch, so it only charges to 100% pre-long ride right before I leave (say switched on 4 hours before - based on SOC % to full)
  • I have a heated gear plug and HDMCs Spectra Glo LEDs (both installed by HDMC techs and NOT to the 12v, to the RESS via a jumper.)
  • I do occasionally get the red triangle ! - but it's cleared with a restart... have not figured out why yet. It has yet to be an obvious issue.
  • I have had three (known) firmware updates to the bike. If there have been others, they were not made known to me during service.
  • I have ridden my bike to 0% and beyond several times... with no obvious issues.
  • I do NOT use a trickle charger on this bike for the 12v as warned against by the manual, service and HDMC

Current mileage - 11,422
Current SOC - 69%

Hope some of that helps with isolating similarities.
tcypher
Would you mind sharing what this "smart switch" is you referred to? I'm intrigued.

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
96 Posts
tcypher
Would you mind sharing what this "smart switch" is you referred to? I'm intrigued.
It's just a zwave switch I have connected to my smartThings hub.

You can get outlets and plugs and strips and physical switches... as well as many other things.

In this case, the SmartSwitch I have my bike plugged into can be turned on or off automatically, pretty much like all the rest.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Cool. Thanks. I took the HD Livewire manual too seriously when they wrote something about plugging directly in the wall outlet with no extension cords, blah, blah, blah. Fact is, I have an extension cord better wired than most homes. I'll look for that switch. I really like the idea of your charging schemata. Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Cool. Thanks. I took the HD Livewire manual too seriously when they wrote something about plugging directly in the wall outlet with no extension cords, blah, blah, blah. Fact is, I have an extension cord better wired than most homes. I'll look for that switch. I really like the idea of your charging schemata. Thanks!
The main reason for NOT using those things, is the permit approved wall wire is rated for the amount of constant power coming through them.
A typical store bought extension chord may not be without attention to detail. So they're just likely covering their bases for the average shopper/user.

The smart switch is nice for returning home and charging it to 70% based on the 10% per hour scenario and not having to watch the app or constantly go out to the bike to check if the app is not working.

When I get home, I just do the math in my head and turn the switch on... and set it to shut off in x hours (charging it close to 70%.)
Typically I'm around 3-5% close to 70% - which is perfectly fine... and then the switch auto shuts off.

On then on those days I plan a longer ride, I set it to start charging say 3-4 hrs before I leave (so I don't have to wake up at 3AM and I don't need to let the bike sit a higher charge rate for longer than needed)..., expecting it will also be a 10% (65-70-100%) charge time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So I searched for both the zwave switch and the smart hub. I have Sonos speakers, but if you have time and could direct me to what you are using, maybe a switch to an outlet on the wall (?), I'd sure appreciate it. I may be a renter for a year upcoming, so I may need to find something external and not installed, like my Sonos speakers.

Below is the link I found searching for a zwave switch, and is there a particular smartThings hub brand/model you could share? Admittedly, I've resisted automating things, as I've worked one-year assignments all over the last several years. Add to that, the house I owned was in downtown Orlando, the lightening capital of the USA. Never lived anywhere with more people having had their homes fried by lightening. But it was the price I paid to live within walking distance of 57 restaurants and all downtown attractions. Downtown Orlando, the true downtown, is actually very, very small. The big buildings and ridiculous theme park traffic (72M per year pre-Covid) trick the eyes.

Thanks so much. I'm looking to adopt your charging regiment.

Link for the zwave on Amazon:

·
Registered
96 Posts
So I searched for both the zwave switch and the smart hub. I have Sonos speakers, but if you have time and could direct me to what you are using, maybe a switch to an outlet on the wall (?), I'd sure appreciate it. I may be a renter for a year upcoming, so I may need to find something external and not installed, like my Sonos speakers.

Below is the link I found searching for a zwave switch, and is there a particular smartThings hub brand/model you could share? Admittedly, I've resisted automating things, as I've worked one-year assignments all over the last several years. Add to that, the house I owned was in downtown Orlando, the lightening capital of the USA. Never lived anywhere with more people having had their homes fried by lightening. But it was the price I paid to live within walking distance of 57 restaurants and all downtown attractions. Downtown Orlando, the true downtown, is actually very, very small. The big buildings and ridiculous theme park traffic (72M per year pre-Covid) trick the eyes.

Thanks so much. I'm looking to adopt your charging regiment.

Link for the zwave on Amazon:
I use an older version of this... you can use zigbee or zwave... I have a combination of them in my home.
I use my home automation elements with a SmartThings Gen 2 Hub.

Those two things you can take with you anywhere and utilize in a rental as well.
I'm not certain of the linked outlet/switch above (since mine is older), but it's effectively the same thing and made by the same company.
They just keep making things smaller and different so you get frustrated with the changes. ;) HAHA

You can expand greatly with the hub and the outlet/switch can be used on virtually anything. It's addictive.

You can also use it with GoogleHome and Alexa/Echo. I'm unsure of any other "Smart speaker" setups, but I use it on both the others.

Pretty straight forward setup once you get the hub up and running and connect the outlet/switch to the hub.
You can then use the smartThings app to turn it on/off and set timers for it.

If you use a "smart speaker" you can command it vocally.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Tcypher,
So after I then my 14-year-old researched the Echo Show 8, which is indicated to be compatible with the Centralite Smart Plug Mini (link you provided), I'm thinking to go for it. Last question for you on this, maybe:
Are you using the app "Blink" or "Alexa" on your smartphone to run your system? Apparently, those are the compatible apps, and I'm curious if they have the timer built-in to the app. Assumption is if you're using either app, I'm good to buy these things. The Echo Show 8 is on sale, wife would love watching Netflix while she's cooking, and it also has a camera in a nice bundle so I can check in on my 95 pound chocolate lab puppy now and then when out.
Thanks for bearing through all these questions. The moment I read your charging approach, I was hooked.
Brad

Links:
Plug: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DFPYV4K/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A11M09OSE3TNLR&psc=1
Echo Show 8 Bundle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086ZND1QQ/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

·
Registered
96 Posts
Tcypher,
So after I then my 14-year-old researched the Echo Show 8, which is indicated to be compatible with the Centralite Smart Plug Mini (link you provided), I'm thinking to go for it. Last question for you on this, maybe:
Are you using the app "Blink" or "Alexa" on your smartphone to run your system? Apparently, those are the compatible apps, and I'm curious if they have the timer built-in to the app. Assumption is if you're using either app, I'm good to buy these things. The Echo Show 8 is on sale, wife would love watching Netflix while she's cooking, and it also has a camera in a nice bundle so I can check in on my 95 pound chocolate lab puppy now and then when out.
Thanks for bearing through all these questions. The moment I read your charging approach, I was hooked.
Brad

Links:
Plug: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DFPYV4K/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A11M09OSE3TNLR&psc=1
Echo Show 8 Bundle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086ZND1QQ/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
I'm not using either app.
I use the smartThings app.
I do have gen 1 Echos & Google Homes.
can't say it's not worth a try.
If it gives you the control you need, you are good to go. 😉

I'll download the Alexa app & see what it offers

·
Registered
116 Posts
FINALLY,
Appears all I need is a heavy duty TOPGREENER 15A Smart Plug, and the free app has the timer and scheduling features to work through my WiFi remotely. I'm buying four for $30. If they work, cheap solution. And if the move to Massachusetts goes as hoped, I may have to use one in the winter to power a space heater in my Jeep if it's stuck outside, then just unplug and drive a toasty warm vehicle.
But wait, it's for the Livewire. Who said anything about a Jeep?!
Thanks again for the inspiration, Tcypher!

·
Registered
96 Posts
FINALLY,
Appears all I need is a heavy duty TOPGREENER 15A Smart Plug, and the free app has the timer and scheduling features to work through my WiFi remotely. I'm buying four for $30. If they work, cheap solution. And if the move to Massachusetts goes as hoped, I may have to use one in the winter to power a space heater in my Jeep if it's stuck outside, then just unplug and drive a toasty warm vehicle.
But wait, it's for the Livewire. Who said anything about a Jeep?!
Thanks again for the inspiration, Tcypher!
Keep me posted! I like less complicated options!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Will do! Already have the TOPGREENER app on my phone, and the smart plugs (undoubtedly smarter than me) are scheduled to arrive in 2 days. Follow-up pending...

·
Registered
116 Posts
The heavy duty TOPGREENER 15A Smart Plugs rock! Little tricky to get on my WiFi, but once on, so simple to use. Bought 4, and can name them all to clearly define what is being controlled. Basically as simple as Sonos speakers to set-up, and app has a timer and scheduler for each plug. Very glad I bought them all for $30 off Amazon. :)
Thanks for the inspiration Tcypher!
(Also ordered the tailbag you have on another thread and loved the pics of your Livewire.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Sorry to hear about your woes, Flokki. Would you (and perhaps others) mind sharing with us if you've always charged at home, or often DC-fast-charged at stations?

Clearly, the long-distance gurus on this board will have charged at fast-charge stations so that alone cannot be a cause (I assume, being profoundly ignorant of the potential for problems if the 12V battery does not like cohabiting with the RESS while a fast charge is going in...)

...but the reason I ask, is because a Jaguar EV owner near me had almost the same problem when he switched from always charging overnight at his house, to fast-charging at his workplace. He and I wondered aloud - does the onboard module get used to one form of charging?

Disclaimer: I do medicine, not mechanics. I am yer basic clueless electrical amateur. Except if you need defibrillating. Which I hope you don't :)
I charged at home ( about 75% of time) and on Dealer's fast charger (remaining charges...) - as HD recommends. BUT this being said, it should have nothing to do with the 12V charging circuit failing (???).

21 - 40 of 44 Posts