Livewire Forums banner
61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Harley-Davidson Livewire, 2017 Harley-Davidson SuperLow
3 Posts
This is just GREAT info!

I have had two updates since I purchased mine in Oct '19, although the lock still does not seem to work, so I'll have to check with them again... my 15K is right around the corner. :)

Is there specific wording I can use to convince them since they are generally reluctant to do much more than "scheduled service" unless there is a memo from high up. :/ It's been a challenge sometimes to even get suggestions on upgrades, modifications, etc... without my own extreme research and testing.
I spent roughly 1K just to test setup some clubmen bars and ended up going with drag bars in the end.

As for the sound, I did get a chance to ride the '14 prototype when it came to my city and I would 100% agree, I wish it was as loud as it was then.
My education tells me this is gearing (mechanical)... is there any other way to make it louder... as I TOTALLY love that jet whir and proudly flaunt it! :)

I (and I'm sure everyone) REALLY appreciate your incite, feedback and assistance, for REAL!
Yes, the Livewire sound is purely from the gearbox, which got tuned out a lot in the production launch. The motor manufacturers design them for silence and H-D didn't want to add some cheesy speaker for a sound effect to make it loud, it had to be "real".

When did you get the updates? You got your Livewire pretty early compared to most and there were quite a few BCM updates early on that were more crucial than this one. This update got delayed a while because we had bigger fish to fry than the charge lock. There WAS a "memo from high up" I want to say back last September or maybe even earlier (I don't remember for sure exactly when it was sent) to address this. Unfortunately, it wasn't as a high priorty / recall, so I think it may have been ignored by some. But there is a note/memo on it in the books if they look and it should be covered under warranty work.

Make sure when you test the lock that your fob is not in range. If it detects the fob nearby it may not lock. Also, make sure the battery is not fully charged as it unlocks on full charge as well.

Also consider there's always the possibility it could be some issue other than the known SW issue (e.g. mechanical failure or something like that). Just to check, since you were supposed to get updates before, have you tried DC charging? If so, does the lock work with DC or not with either? If it doesn't work with either AC or DC, it's almost certainly an unrelated problem and they might need to take a closer look. If DC works well, it's not a mechanical issue then, at least. No other issue I'm aware of but I don't know what all the possibilities of issues are that could prevent it, so still a small chance it's something else, but not likely IMO.

If after trying everything above the lock still doesn't work in AC but works in DC, some things to check/say when you go back to the dealer:

1. Maybe ask them to look at available BCM updates in Digital Tech? Even then, I know sometimes it doesn't show up in the list on the screen unless they do something specific but not sure what it is - I think there's a button to click to check, refresh, or something like that. I used the engineering version which looked the same but accessed it more directly, and I always had local copies of the files therefore I never used the digital tech dealer screens so I don't know exactly what they have to click.

2. They should make sure they actually plug in the external power supply to the Digital Tech module when they do the update. They don't need to plug it in for anything other than updating the BCM so when they actually do the BCM update they sometimes forget to and then the update doesn't take.

3. It's possible they updated the BCM software but forgot to reconfigure the OBC to turn the AC charge lock feature on. You may want to mention that (NOTE: if for some reason it gets turned on in the OBC and the BCM is NOT updated, next time you do an AC charge I hope you're not planning to use it soon as it will stay locked and not unlock until the bike is fully charged...but the dealer SHOULD know better than to do that... I've never heard of a customer having that problem, just one we had in engineering)

4. You could also ask the dealer to contact engineering and let engineering know your lock still doesn't work. Sometimes the updates don't take and they didn't verify it was successful or they missed the latest update in the system and updated to something earlier. The engineers can then give them the instructions or remote help directly. I know when I was there a couple times I would be on the phone with a dealer and a service rep. The dealers were having trouble finding the update at the time. The service rep knew what they needed to click and honestly, my help consisted of me having them check the version on the BCM on the bike, which I then verified was wrong and then repeatedly insisting they keep looking until they find the right one and not hanging up until they did because I knew it existed somewhere in the system and they eventually found it.

Anyway glad to help as far as I don't cross a line and get in trouble for it. :) I'm proud of my work at H-D and don't mind showing my knowledge a bit :LOL:.

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
121 Posts
Yes, the Livewire sound is purely from the gearbox, which got tuned out a lot in the production launch. The motor manufacturers design them for silence and H-D didn't want to add some cheesy speaker for a sound effect to make it loud, it had to be "real".

When did you get the updates? You got your Livewire pretty early compared to most and there were quite a few BCM updates early on that were more crucial than this one. This update got delayed a while because we had bigger fish to fry than the charge lock. There WAS a "memo from high up" I want to say back last September or maybe even earlier (I don't remember for sure exactly when it was sent) to address this. Unfortunately, it wasn't as a high priorty / recall, so I think it may have been ignored by some. But there is a note/memo on it in the books if they look and it should be covered under warranty work.

Make sure when you test the lock that your fob is not in range. If it detects the fob nearby it may not lock. Also, make sure the battery is not fully charged as it unlocks on full charge as well.

Also consider there's always the possibility it could be some issue other than the known SW issue (e.g. mechanical failure or something like that). Just to check, since you were supposed to get updates before, have you tried DC charging? If so, does the lock work with DC or not with either? If it doesn't work with either AC or DC, it's almost certainly an unrelated problem and they might need to take a closer look. If DC works well, it's not a mechanical issue then, at least. No other issue I'm aware of but I don't know what all the possibilities of issues are that could prevent it, so still a small chance it's something else, but not likely IMO.

If after trying everything above the lock still doesn't work in AC but works in DC, some things to check/say when you go back to the dealer:

1. Maybe ask them to look at available BCM updates in Digital Tech? Even then, I know sometimes it doesn't show up in the list on the screen unless they do something specific but not sure what it is - I think there's a button to click to check, refresh, or something like that. I used the engineering version which looked the same but accessed it more directly, and I always had local copies of the files therefore I never used the digital tech dealer screens so I don't know exactly what they have to click.

2. They should make sure they actually plug in the external power supply to the Digital Tech module when they do the update. They don't need to plug it in for anything other than updating the BCM so when they actually do the BCM update they sometimes forget to and then the update doesn't take.

3. It's possible they updated the BCM software but forgot to reconfigure the OBC to turn the AC charge lock feature on. You may want to mention that (NOTE: if for some reason it gets turned on in the OBC and the BCM is NOT updated, next time you do an AC charge I hope you're not planning to use it soon as it will stay locked and not unlock until the bike is fully charged...but the dealer SHOULD know better than to do that... I've never heard of a customer having that problem, just one we had in engineering)

4. You could also ask the dealer to contact engineering and let engineering know your lock still doesn't work. Sometimes the updates don't take and they didn't verify it was successful or they missed the latest update in the system and updated to something earlier. The engineers can then give them the instructions or remote help directly. I know when I was there a couple times I would be on the phone with a dealer and a service rep. The dealers were having trouble finding the update at the time. The service rep knew what they needed to click and honestly, my help consisted of me having them check the version on the BCM on the bike, which I then verified was wrong and then repeatedly insisting they keep looking until they find the right one and not hanging up until they did because I knew it existed somewhere in the system and they eventually found it.

Anyway glad to help as far as I don't cross a line and get in trouble for it. :) I'm proud of my work at H-D and don't mind showing my knowledge a bit :LOL:.
Thanks... I'll keep these things in mind.

The last update, I do believe was a mandatory update (some months back), and the first was a suggested update.
If there have been any other (despite asking), they've not advised me of any.

61 - 62 of 62 Posts