Livewire Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new 2015 Zero's have just been announced, the models themselves remain unchanged, the components however do not.

for 2015 Zero adds some significant content to its repertoire. Try this on, new Pirelli rubber all round, proper Showa suspension, ABS from Bosch and a 10% bump in battery capacity.

base pricing of Zero's four models is fairly affordable and for sure a LiveWire target.

Zero DS ($13,345), Zero S ($13,345), Zero SR ($17,345), & Zero FX ($9,845).

Livewire out the door at $15K, yea that will work...

·
Registered
102 Posts
That seems like a pretty reasonable price to me as well. The Zero FX is really reasonable, but that makes me think that that bike probably has very little range. Do we know what the range is on these things?

·
Registered
233 Posts
That seems like a pretty reasonable price to me as well. The Zero FX is really reasonable, but that makes me think that that bike probably has very little range. Do we know what the range is on these things?
At worst the Zero DS gets 100 miles in the city, and that's good enough for the average commute. At least with that you can commute too and from the office and then much more.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Show me the person who thinks that they are going to take their electric motorcycle on a cross country road trip anyway. That is maybe what the future holds but at this point electric motorcycles should be seen as city bikes and commute bikes depending on how far your commute is.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That is the eventual goal though. You want to have an electric bike be no different than a gas powered bike. I think that it may have more to do with infrastructure than capability at a certain point.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Do you think that Zero's goal is to remain an expensive up market brand, or do they eventually want to bring down the price of their bikes so that they can sell them to the mass market?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Show me the person who thinks that they are going to take their electric motorcycle on a cross country road trip anyway. That is maybe what the future holds but at this point electric motorcycles should be seen as city bikes and commute bikes depending on how far your commute is.
No one mentioned that for an obvious reason ;)

As the infrastructure develops for electric vehicles we'll see that become more of a practical thing, for now and for a while it won't happen.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is the eventual goal though. You want to have an electric bike be no different than a gas powered bike. I think that it may have more to do with infrastructure than capability at a certain point.
how much are you willing to pay per gallon of electricity? you'll see infrastructure then...

·
Registered
233 Posts
won't there be companies like tesla that have free charging stations, or is that just limited to tesla owners?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hopefully they will have a standard charger so that you don't have to drive around looking for the one that matches your car or bike. Hopefully the car ones are compatible with bikes too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't think the chargers are standard now so there will have to be some big symposium to get that together. Look at the phone industry. Chargers there aren't standardized.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What ever happens they can't be stupid enough to make charging an issue, simple process that they shouldn't hopefully mess up. It might be time to look more into charging types and availability of them on the vehicle it's self and at charging stations home and on the go.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think that charging infrastructure and standardization is a big issue actually. Until there is an agreement, we have a bunch of companies working on their own version of a charger.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think the chargers are standard now so there will have to be some big symposium to get that together. Look at the phone industry. Chargers there aren't standardized.
but gasoline nozzles are. I've said it many times, in order for the technology/behaviour to be legitimized and accepted into habit it needs to mimic the current system.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts