Livewire Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Bill Davidson, the new HD electric motorcycles are "absolutely phenomenal." He has indicated that it is still a Harley through and trough and that the unique gearing on the new prototypes sound really unique and aggressive when you get on the throttle. I remember early reports suggested that the bike sounded similar to a jet engine, even in its early concepts, so I'm really looking forward to the improvements that have been made on this formula.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I knew they had to do something drastic because during the time it released, the specs weren't ground breaking but were enough to get people talking.
50 miles of range today just wouldn't cut it.

How high could we expect to see range go?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't know if its feasible to get anything higher than 70-80 miles on a charge. Even the best performing PHEV's are still falling short of that all electric range. Mind you I'm sure the bike requires much less power to get it moving, but hard pulls are definitely going to drain it quickly. HD has a bit of a balancing act to pull off with the Livewire.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Fast charging should be part of this HD's reality. Already its happening to mobile devices and vehicles. There is Tesla and some commercial vehicle companies that offer supercharging, in just 5-15 minutes a lot of power can be gained.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick chargers also greatly reduce the lifetime of a battery, and I don't really think it'll be necessary on the Livewire as it'll probably have a relatively small battery pack. It would be neat if they made it accessible enough where you could carry a spare and swap it out on the fly. That would pretty much eliminate range concerns.

·
Registered
200 Posts
That can change with battery technology and really if you're shopping here, you want the latest more than anything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts