Livewire Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day 3 and loving my 2022. I’ve been riding 50 years.
Got off the bike today to close the garage door and was about ten feet from the bike and she fell over. Let me say this bike is fragile. Bent handle bar and a host of broken parts. I thought it was my fault until I got it in the truck and can see it has a faulty design on the kickstand.
Anyone else have this issue where your stand does not lock?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap. I can't say that I've had this issue. The bike is pretty heavy so there will be a lot of force if it falls.

In the past when I've had a kickstand issue, I can typically file the notch they have to make a bigger detent to make it more secure. I also make sure I set a parking brake on the bike so it can't roll either.

At least it isn't like what I'd call the suicide kickstand on some of my old BMWs. They had auto retracting ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing with the LiveWire is there are no gears or brakes to engage. So, I’m truely dependent on design and weight to keep the bike upright and on the stand.
i’ve never had a bike just fall over like this one did and sincerely want to let LiveWire owners know this problem exist.
After speaking with the service manager at HD of Scottsdale today I have even less patience for condescension which Home
Boy was dripping with.

·
Registered
Livewire
84 Posts
Yes, it's important to be focus on this operation to confirm that the kickstand is ok. One time with friends arround me, on a not know area, I was just near the bike. The bike move alone to reach the 100% slot engaged, so no trouble.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hmmm there is a reason it’s called a « Jiffy » stand and not a kick stand.
If the stand is not fully to the front when laying the bike on it, the stand does not lock between the forks and will fall down :-(
Make sure the stand IS between the forks and locked before laying the bike completely… been there twice as my other bikes are just kick and lay… but the Harley are a bit touchy on this :-(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LEARNED that the hard way yesterday. I’m hoping LiveWire takes some responsibility for the bad design.

i’ve been setting bikes on stands for 51 years. Never encountered a stand that requires a person to kneel down and look at it to ensure it is “locked.”
I’ve also never encountered a set of handlebars that bend from an at rest fall.

Hoping for the best. Loving the bike.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It’s not livewire… ALL Harleys are like this
you don’t need to kneel down, just make sure it’s fully forward before leaning on it
takes a bit more attention than other « kinds » of bikes

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
281 Posts
Last night I came to the realization there are hundreds of complaints about the Jiffy stand across a bunch of forums.
it appears HD knows it has a problem.
I'm probably one of them. While I have not had it fall over "yet"... that jiffy constantly worries me. I'm always kicking it forward to make sure it's locked and if there is any sort of incline or decline, or movement (e.g. ferry) I wrap my small portable bungie tie around the break to keep it as still as possible.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Man sorry. There are lots of dumb Harley things on this bike. I am hoping that the break to be Livewire will allow them to fix some of this. I look forward to a real Livewire dealer. I have had it roll and settle on the stand. It should have an ebrake. The stick on bumpers are worth having. Though it didn't protect everything when mine went down. Wasn't the stands fault in that case. The dealers are crap. Got to find a good shop or do it yourself to do all the non power train stuff. Course most shops are like I don't work on HD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today HD let me know that LiveWire had determined the stand did not malfunction. When I ask for details, they backtracked letting me know that no one from livewire looked at it. They relied on the HD service manager to drag it back and forth, and he determined it was fine. Not stunned that HD investigates its own part and found it was just fine!

The cost for the bent handlebars and everything else to be repaired is $1600. No discounts offered. Once the repair is completed, I’m thinking this is a National Transportation Safety Board complaint.

if you miss that slot or shift the position of the bike so that it disengages, the bike will stay up and then fall over.
If I lift my not harley’s off the stand, the kickstands stay right where they are and nothing happens. When I set the bike back down, the stand stays forward and supports the weight. This is why in 52 years of driving I’ve never dropped a motorcycle.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wow that is surprising the bars bent. I guess I slowed my bike down a bit as it fell. Bummer man. Well hope you get it fixed up and have a great winter with it in Tucson. How are you finding the charging infrastructure there?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts