Livewire Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well, I guess I am odd man out. I've not needed level 2 or 3 charging in 800 kms, and I'm entirely OK with having a Collectible One-Year-Only Edition.

As long as HD provides the 2020 LW with parts and service for at least 5 years*, I will consider myself ahead of the game :)

*...and even if HD doesn't - this bike is Pure Acceleration Magic for as long as it lasts!
Your not the only odd man out. I'm with you. I don't need Level 2 and have plenty Level 3 charging in my area.

If the LW is discontinued so be it. The parts inventory will be around for 5 years. The RESS is warrantied for 5 years and projected lifespan is 10 years. I doubt I'll still be riding bikes in 10 years as I'm getting up there in age.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was lucky enough to own the original Tesla Roadster in 2011. Tesla could have just discontinued the car when the Model S came out, but instead they doubled down and offered several upgrades including a brand new, more energy dense battery and associated components. And this was for a worldwide production run of only ~2400 cars. It was an attempt by Tesla to reward and thank us for taking a chance on them and being early adopters. I don’t know how many Livewires there are out there, and I do know that H-D is a very different company with a very different trajectory, but the optimistic point of view is that H-D supports the bike for several years to come and that either a) they will also offer an upgraded RESS down the line and/or b) there’ll be a decent aftermarket scene for the bike like the one that has formed around the original Roadster. I for one intend to keep my Livewire for long time - it’s a piece of history.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wholly agree! It is a piece of history. And it's a turn in thinking that is sure to become more justified as gas prices climb back up to a new normal, guessing approximately $4/gal minimum everywhere by the end of summer 2021 and $5/gal min in CA. (My guess for 2022 is $5/gal+ by August everywhere, and $6/gal+ in CA.) Meanwhile, I intend to keep my Livewire (or an upgrade) until retiring to South America, then maybe I'll go back to petro/ICE with off-road tires?
But ultimately, the Livewire will be the motorcycle American history notes as the changing point from ICE to EV (Tesla for bikers). History won't likely even mention the other brands, just the iconic Livewire. Harley Davidson is legendary worldwide, and the Livewire only adds to the fame.

Meanwhile, I still have a CEO to engage...(More positively than in the email...)

·
Registered
10 Posts
For what it's worth, my perspective is that electric is absolutely not going anywhere but up. I personally haven't heard about the LW being discontinued, but I can say with relative confidence that there is no shortage of electricity in H-D's future. Y'all can take a little comfort in knowing that if the LW doesn't make it past 2022, there'll be something even better to take its place.

I'm still pretty new to the place but I'm a huge EV advocate and if electric was going away, I'd probably know it (and I'd yell like hell about it). It's a huge company with honestly pretty daunting levels of hush-hush but I can probably say there might be a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions ahead. We all love the electric future, and this is absolutely the decade to exist in if you're an electric nerd (or care a quarter of a heck about efficiency and fun). ;)

FWIW, I was also pretty disappointed about the 2021 launch event not including any mention of electrics. I think that was a mistake.

(disclaimer: this is purely personal opinion and should not be taken as an official statement of any kind, please, for the love of god I love my job, lol)

·
Registered
284 Posts
For what it's worth, my perspective is that electric is absolutely not going anywhere but up. I personally haven't heard about the LW being discontinued, but I can say with relative confidence that there is no shortage of electricity in H-D's future. Y'all can take a little comfort in knowing that if the LW doesn't make it past 2022, there'll be something even better to take its place.

I'm still pretty new to the place but I'm a huge EV advocate and if electric was going away, I'd probably know it (and I'd yell like hell about it). It's a huge company with honestly pretty daunting levels of hush-hush but I can probably say there might be a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions ahead. We all love the electric future, and this is absolutely the decade to exist in if you're an electric nerd (or care a quarter of a heck about efficiency and fun). ;)

FWIW, I was also pretty disappointed about the 2021 launch event not including any mention of electrics. I think that was a mistake.

(disclaimer: this is purely personal opinion and should not be taken as an official statement of any kind, please, for the love of god I love my job, lol)
The LW will be discontinued soon to hopefully be replaced by a less expensive model. HD had several concepts posted online until recently. The big problem with HD is the money crunch it is under and the current management. The change to a boutique brand is not the way to go. I think HD is still interested in EV but on a smaller scale. I think the best option for HD in the electric realm is to come out with a reasonably priced scooter.That would make more sense for an urban commuter that is not interested in a true motorcycle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your not the only odd man out. I'm with you. I don't need Level 2 and have plenty Level 3 charging in my area.

If the LW is discontinued so be it. The parts inventory will be around for 5 years. The RESS is warrantied for 5 years and projected lifespan is 10 years. I doubt I'll still be riding bikes in 10 years as I'm getting up there in age.
I don’t see the need at all for Level 2. Level 1 is great for at home. When I am out, I want as fast a charge as possible. (Level 3). Every month there are more and more level 3‘s around here. All that is needed is some time for more level 3’s.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Please consider writing Harley Davidson with your concerns at [email protected]

This is what I just emailed:

SUBJECT: Future Livewire Production

To Harley Davidson’s CEO and Upper Management (Please Forward),

There is currently a thread on the Harley Davidson Livewire Forum (www.hdlivewireforum.com) discussing concerns that the Livewire is going to be discontinued. While I understand the Livewire was never a monetary investment at $30k+, it is an investment in the future and a pleasure for today.

In attempting to assuage their concerns, I wrote that I remain optimistic Harley will remain liquid, and the Livewire will be around a while (modified and maybe called something else). My main reasoning is from my time in R&D for Freightliner Trucks. We never spent five years in R&D with any intention of dumping something that went into production. We made adjustments. If it was a valid technology, initial profit/non-profit margin aside, we rode out the investment. Daimler AG, parent company of Freightliner, remains the world's largest truck manufacturer because of this mentality.

I'm not in the boardroom with the CEO of Harley (who I hope reads this), but I remain hopeful Harley Davidson knows where the future is heading. And I remain hopeful the battery can be serviced, when that time comes.

All that noted, those on the forum (really all Livewire Owners) feel that if Harley sticks it to them (us), many will not only never buy another Harley, but the group is sure to poison the waters for any future Harley customers in our circle of influence (those who currently love our Livewires). Hopefully, that alone is motivation for Harley Davidson to keep producing a couple/few thousand a year.

I'm writing Harley Davidson Corporate to voice my thoughts on the Livewire and the need to continue production. I don't believe a word politicians have to say, but I do believe our voices matter to Corporate America. And I remain hopeful my future motorcycles will continue to be Harley Davidsons. Please do not let us down.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter,

Brad Higerd, P.E.
i sent a letter to Harley’s CEO today about staying the course with the Livewire.

Update: Feb 10th, 2021. My phone rang and I saw it was a 1 800 number. I figured it would be a telemarketer, but answered none the less. It was Debbie from Harley Davidson, She said that Jochen had read my letter and it was well received. She said at the moment, they have no plans to discontinue the Livewire and are still committed to electric. She said there may be tweaks and changes, but the rumour of the Livewire is exactly that, a rumour as of today. With so many companies that do not respond, I found it refreshing that Harley Davidson Motor Company took the time to call me. She asked if I was enjoying riding my LW and I said being in Canada, I cannot wait for the snow to melt, but I plan to soon. She said they all are ready to get out and ride. I believe Jochen is doing exactly what needs to be done there, including putting motor clothes exclusively at the dealer and not on Amazon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I look forward to hearing if anyone receives a response from Harley... or of news of a less expensive model. (y)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Turns out the CEO of Harley Davidson has an email address:
[email protected]
I'm going all positive with Mr. Zeitz, as I don't think he has any intention of screwing his customer base. Plus, he's a progressive thinker, or so his other business endeavors have shown.
Should you be on Linked-In, so is the lead of R&D for Harley Davidson, Bryan Niketh.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I also just wrote a positive-feedback email to Mr Z on this great bike.

I did include a polite wishlist of better mirrors, risers to lift the bars, and a luggage pod. Because why not :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I also just wrote a positive-feedback email to Mr Z on this great bike.

I did include a polite wishlist of better mirrors, risers to lift the bars, and a luggage pod. Because why not :)
I sent him an email, not kissing but but I asked for a straight answer on Livewire's future.

·
Registered
119 Posts
LOL.

As for how you approach Harley Davidson, your call. I'm actually trying to strike-up a conversation with lead of R&D for Harley Davidson, Bryan Niketh. I'll write the CEO a hard copy letter shortly, as I believe those, when short and well-worded, often get on the desk.

Meanwhile, I'm happy some of you are engaging HD Leadership directly. They undoubtedly have AA's, but AA's still see the value in passing along important information, like concerns voiced by current and long-term HD customers. Guys like you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Update: Feb 10th, 2021. My phone rang and I saw it was a 1 800 number. I figured it would be a telemarketer, but answered none the less. It was Debbie from Harley Davidson, She said that Jochen had read my letter and it was well received. She said at the moment, they have no plans to discontinue the Livewire and are still committed to electric. She said there may be tweaks and changes, but the rumour of the Livewire is exactly that, a rumour as of today. With so many companies that do not respond, I found it refreshing that Harley Davidson Motor Company took the time to call me. She asked if I was enjoying riding my LW and I said being in Canada, I cannot wait for the snow to melt, but I plan to soon. She said they all are ready to get out and ride. I believe Jochen is doing exactly what needs to be done there, including putting motor clothes exclusively at the dealer and not on Amazon.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nicely done! Super excited to hear that it looks like we aren’t getting screwed over! It’s also fantastic to see Harley reach out to you like that!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Pepper, thank you! I'll engage the CEO eventually regarding the serviceability of the battery once they start to go bad, along with something to encourage him that his most elite Harley followers are the Livewire owners who took a bold and costly step with Harley Davidson as part of an investment in tomorrow. Just a gentle reminder that we're in this thing together.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Absolutely, thanks for reaching out. Today I stopped by a local H-D dealer who doesn't carry the LiveWire. As usual, there was a salesperson who was super interested and got my usual "class" about the bike. While she was very enthusiastic, she seemed to feel like the owner of the dealer simply wasn't interested in investing all the money required by H-D to carry it. It reminded me of when I had a Buell, and H-D dealers weren't interested in dealing with them. Harley-Davidson made it difficult for them to deal with Buell products, and eventually killed the brand. It's just easier for dealers to stick with selling the traditional chrome and steel.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts