Livewire Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Troy. I want to know why, if it's using level 3 DCFS, it can't charger faster than 1C. The stations are clearly capable of delivering a lot more, and the Energica bikes are charging twice as fast. What gives?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here's the answer I got, directly from Harley-Davidson:

"At low battery SOC, the LiveWire will charge at 90A (1.5C) and step down to 60A (1C). This profile was developed to optimize performance over the life of the product. Charge rates are based on a combination of cell chemistry, targeted battery design life, and warranty duration."
First off, thank you so much for checking into that and getting a response! I didn't expect you to get an answer. It still doesn't add up though, mathematically. If it kept the 1C rate from 0-80 that would be 40 minutes anyway so I'm not sure where the 1.5C factors in. Second, and more interestingly, it looks like H-D is saying it's a 60Ah battery pack and it's 13.7kWh nominal. So, 13700 / 60 = 228.3 Volts is in the operating range. The minimum for CCS charging is 200V, and the charge rates get weaker the lower the voltage.

This could mean... hang on. Oh man if the lowest SOC on the bike is around 200, and someone drains their LiveWire all the way empty, there's a chance they'd have to wall charge it before the CCS will accept it and fill it back up again. It also means potentially that because the voltage is so low the stations just flat-out can't deliver. So, more than likely, the bike starts at 60A and as the voltage rises the station becomes able to deliver more power until voltage cutback at ~80%.

Fun

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.