Livewire Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to know if anyone has experimented with the custom ride settings to design the 'ideal range' mode. Bought a used 2020 HD LiveWire and currently use the following setting for the ASSUME maximum range of non-highway riding:
0% Power
100% Regenerative
0% Throttle

Made a 54mi ride on a mix of surface streets and county highways in Colorado [Aurora to Johnstown] and went from 100% charge down to 49%.
Anyone tried something similar or different with better results?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am not sure 100% regen is right. I know if you hypermile a car it is all about coasting as much as possible. I don't know if being on throttle but not accelerating. So if you mean best milage driving reasonably or if you mean best possible milage. Best possible is not over accelerating and coasting rather then braking. Active slowing when you still need to travel is not better as I am guessing the power recovery is worse. So the best setup is having a regen mode and a coasting mode that are both easy to access. I currently am just cycling between eco and a custom mode with 0 regen. Probably the best way would be two custom modes and all the others disabled. My goal is probably to get to a setup with custom modes or maybe two customer modes and road? Because there is no way to engage the regen on the fly there won't ever be a perfect mode. Now this is without knowing the efficiency of regen. And if it is possible to coast by slightly rolling off the throttle or something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best possible is not over accelerating and coasting rather then braking.
Active slowing when you still need to travel is not better as I am guessing the power recovery is worse.
So the best setup is having a regen mode and a coasting mode that are both easy to access.
I currently am just cycling between eco and a custom mode with 0 regen.
Thanks for the comment! Your point/technique makes sense, but it's much more aggressive than I was thinking...
I admit my goal leans more towards the convenience of "set it and forget it" rather than actively toggling between modes throughout the ride. My current needs are commutes of less than 120mi roundtrip, but I will keep your method in mind for my planned mountain runs in the future [Denver to Vail/Glenwood Springs/Aspen].

·
Registered
87 Posts
Another thing to consider to help increase range/efficiency, install some sort of windshield or fairing. Anything to help deflect the wind around you and improve aerodynamics.
That seems like the greatest opportunity for range improvement. Everyone who has installed one notes a significant range improvement.

I just wish that there was a turnkey option. The one used in Long Way Up is a Harley African market windscreen that was adapted to the LiveWire. It would be nice to have something that fits proper and can be easily removed.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Having just looked at and posted the default range settings clearly Range mode is not going to be best. Drop the power and the Throttle and you will just not have the option to burn up the electrons. Now it is possible there is some aspect of the power plant that prefers a power setting of 40 over 0 but I can see no way to know. Where are our Livewire engineers leaking useful details about what this stuff actually does? We know you are out there... Just DM me I promise not to tell.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I personally have noticed a drastic change in wH/mi by dropping power and throttle to 0% and regain to 100%. I my area (mountainous Virginia), there is no difference in having regenerative braking at 0% or 100%. Because regen-braking is relative to throttle position, having regen at 100% means you can feather the braking power. I've found this more helpful than leaving braking completely off, as there is a throttle position sweet spot for coasting if needed. This was about a 10-15 mile range increase compared to the standard highway riding profile.

As someone mentioned above, using a windscreen also helps with gaining more range. I use a MSRA windscreen (the Zero Touring Screen), and I've noticed a gain in range using custom riding profiles and a windscreen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts