Livewire Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went out to ride my Livewire and it is completely dead. The bike was last operated about two months ago, and parked in garage. It is now totally dead, when I hook it up to my 50AMP 240V charger it does nothing. Anyone else experience this? Ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just went out to ride my Livewire and it is completely dead. The bike was last operated about two months ago, and parked in garage. It is now totally dead, when I hook it up to my 50AMP 240V charger it does nothing. Anyone else experience this? Ideas?
Just went to ride my livewire after it having sat for 2 weeks at 100% charge and the low 12volt battery message was displayed. Rode it for a while and the message never went away. So I dropped it over at the dealership and I’m waiting to hear what the deal is.

·
Premium Member
2020, Blue
54 Posts
Unfortunately I know the problem all too well. Last week I sent a letter to the CEO of H-D with the info below. You can find more details by searching for my previous posts. And the LiveWire that the dealer took back? Well, they were going to replace the On Board Charger but H-D would not approve. Battery died again on the sales floor and the dealer is still trying to get permission from H-D to replace the OBC.

My LiveWire timeline

Purchased 10 Oct 2020

Issues:

10 Oct 2020 - Wait - Not Ready came on as I tried to leave upon completing the initial purchase. 12 volt battery was swapped out with another.

11 Oct 2020 - rode 80 miles, came home, Wait - Not Ready message back. Charged the bike overnight. 12 volt battery completely dead next morning. Firmware update applied which seemed to fix the problem.

7 Aug 2021 - About 3200 miles on the bike. Rode 50 miles to Harley-Davidson of Frederick, Maryland to charge. Wait - Not Ready came on. Could not charge. Had to leave the bike and have someone come pick me up.

25 Aug 2021 - Bike returned to dealer. No issues found.

29 Aug 2021 - I put over 100 miles on the bike over the course of a few days. I plugged it in once at home for a few hours and then charged it overnight. Turned on, all good, 133 miles of range (highest I've ever seen), turned it off, came back 15 minutes later - back to Wait - Not Ready. 12 volt battery replaced again. No other issues found.

9 Sep 2021 - Put 50 miles on it. Plugged it in at home to charge. Came out to ride. Dead again with the same Wait - Not Ready message.

18 Sep 2021 - Patriot Harley-Davidson swaps my bike for another on the floor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Follow up to dropping bike off at dealership
Service tech called the MC and they told the service tech to disconnect the 12 volt and the ress reset the error codes and charge the 12volt. Picked it up rode it for awhile ran it down to 64% parked it for seven days. Charged it to 100% last night rode it for 5 miles and parked for 30 minutes. I came back out and went to leave and and the display said call service and would not move. Kept turning it on and off probably a dozen times and it finally would move. Within 2 minutes the low 12 volt warning came on. So I dropped it back off at the dealership for service.
In case I didn't mention it before the 12 volt was replaced a week after I bought it. The current battery is just past 12 months old.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Dave, your issue sounds like a more pronounced manifestation of the same problem. HD must know at this point that the 12-volt batteries are not being properly managed.
These bikes were not cheap. Seems like we may need to organize and put pressure on HD to recall our LWs and resolve this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Service has had my bike since Tuesday and has not gotten a straight answer from the motor company. Who ever they are talking to at the MC is saying the same thing disconnect, reset and recharge. That lasted a week last time. They did add update the bike this time. However there doesn't appear to be any new updates as far as I can tell from the website. The dealership did say they purchased a new 12 volt to put in on there own even though the MC did not say to do so.
This will be the second 12volt installed since I purchased my LW in Feb 2021 the first being one was installed 1 week after I bought it.
They really haven't done anything that really changes anything, so at my estimates the new battery should fail just after the warranty ends. This the forth time I have had my LW in for battery issues I have not done any electrical modifications and don't even connect my phone to charge it while riding.
I am beginning to feel like the MC care.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread Underwaterengineer I hope your having better luck than I am

·
Registered
189 Posts
Trdowns, you definitely didn't hijack this thread from me. It seems so easy for HD to add a jumper with a diode (to protect the bike) as a means to plug in and trickle charge the 12-volt battery while not risking the warranty for those of us with essentially no problems but having a bike that doesn't do what the manual says it will do when stored. For those having bigger problems, if related, I hope HD addresses this 12-volt battery maintenance issue at a level above dealership mechanics. This seems nothing shy of a design flaw.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I want to add that while I may have better tempered my frustration over this 12-volt battery and also probably gave HD a defense on things that were questionable, I bought a Ford recently, a pretty sophisticated 4WD, and we have a forum that Ford engages on. Those who have noted it are correct. Harley Davidson, if you are monitoring this website, you owe it to your client base to engage with Us. Please.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I did write to Harley headquarters last year, expressing my pleasure at the LW's fine engineering, and the hope that there would be OEM dress-up parts as well as some remedial action on charging and the cutout on the rear fender (what was the designer ingesting at the time one wonders), plus - for the love of the Mirror Goddess that lives in the Rear Mirage, by All Things Holy please install mirrors which don't show my ageing deltoids and provide some actual, you know, rear vision.

Unfortunately, I never even got an acknowledgement; whether HD HQ have extremely active spam filters or whether they just don't care - difficult to say. My local dealer despite being a couple hundred kilometres away is extremely engaged and proactive and I am very happy with their service, but I think they are let down by HQ. One wonders whether the LiveWire is now an official Harley Orphan... like the Vrod. Doesn't detract from the fact it's absolutely a blast to ride. Still and always.

So I'm cutting this short to actually go and ride!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Given we bought what I assume to be the most expensive motorcycle on a per- pound/kilogram basis that HD will ever make (worldwide inflation pending), I'd like those same issues addressed as well. My mirrors are upside down so I'm not staring at my arms and just guessing if there's anyone behind me. Without a gambling addiction, it's not as fun as it sounds. I even considered a small camera and handlebar mounted screen so I could just take the mirrors off. Underneith isn't ideal, but it works.

Regardless of the mirrors, the designed hole in the fender, and the lack of stuff to add to the bike (even clothing...what's up with that HD? That's easy money?), my beef is the same as many on this site who share in the thrill of this machine: the 12-volt battery dilemma. If I were to ask HD one single thing for all the money I paid for this bike, please fix the 12-volt battery management issues. Please!

If HD isn't monitoring this site, that's a shame. They ignored my letter to corporate last year as well, Oldun. Seems like Harley Davidson Corporate is running from this 12-volt battery issue. Even if they never read a word on this forum, never read our letters, never read my emails..., they have service departments keeping impeccable records on repairs that would be idiotic to ignore if you want to retain brand loyalty. There's no reasonable way to conclude that HD Corporate is unaware of this 12-volt battery management problem. Inconceivable.

My 2 cents, the world has changed. Bill Burr made that point years ago in a segment about how we all somehow got jobs at the grocery store, Walmart, etc. We're all now accomplished checkout clerks, thus eliminating the whole issue of customer service. Unfortunately for Harley Davidson, people spending this much have the right to expect Harley Davidson to respond. We have certainly done our part, Oldun!

Should the 12-volt battery become a plague to many more, there's always a class action lawsuit. It's one thing to ignore letters, this forum, emails... But it's an entirely different thing to be dragged into court in a very public way.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Those of you who have attempted to contact Harley Davidson or have service records related to this 12-volt battery issue, please keep good records. If this is truly a design flaw and Harley ignores us, we need good records for an attorney to make a solid case. Hope it doesn’t come to that, but I’m fine if it does. I’m an engineer, but I know what a talented attorney can accomplish.

·
Registered
189 Posts
There's always a part of me that wants to add the reluctance I have to be overly critical of Harley after they created what is one of the most amazing machines ever. Maybe it's like HD's reluctance to engage on this site. For that matter, this effort to seemingly distance itself from one of the more notable feats HD has ever achieved fits somewhat into all this. Bummer, as the war on hydrocarbons has only just begun.

Regardless, the Livewire is something I'd be proud of if I created it. I'd be all over this forum, bragging about the little "roller coaster" (to copy one of you) I made. I'd be all, yeah, that was me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes that really sucks. I hope you get a fast solution.

Excuse me if I am stating the obvious / you've already checked, but are you able to test what happens when plugged into the charger the person you bought it from was using? (...but I guess not as it's unrideable...) and did they have any trouble charging it when they owned it?

(Especially with) so few kms on the clock it seems the dealership should take 100% responsibility to help you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not sure about how the previous owner charging it. I believe its a demo unit at a few dealer before they decided to get rid of it. Its charged before when i pick it up at 80% SOC. The dealer just ask me to claim from my local HD dealership.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found this thread after my own 500mi LW was dead one morning after charging it. Waiting for dealer to open to get it fixed, but following this thread. Had a Victory (Brammo) Impulse and still exhausted from that troubleshooting and Lemon Law buyback process, so willing to represent to HD or the Courts to get this remedied. When should we plan a trip to Milwaukee to picket?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts