1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
60 Posts
From their upcoming concepts it looks like they are finally trying to revitalize their lineup and make it more appealing to newcomers. They've got fairly high margins on their bikes though, so they still have cash flow to both cover new products and payout investors.

·
Registered
199 Posts
HD as we know it might not survive. A possible outcome is they either restructure or get acquired and succeed under that new management. At this rate I hope for the latter.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm also a bit surprised that they still retain 50% of the market share, which explains why they have been hit so hard by these shifts in the market. It's good that they are catering to a younger demographic and first time buyers, with products like the Livewire, but I expect there will still be some hesitation on buying into such a new platform.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think they majority market share is based upon old sales figures, and I bet if you were to look at isolated numbers from just last year you would have much different findings. Now that we know pricing, its appeal to younger riders and first timers is certainly going to be limited.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Harley has been losing customers for years, and the majority of their veteran fans will have little interest in something electric. I think they should look to adventure bikes as that class has been seeing a huge amount of interest lately.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I remember seeing insanely positive sales from the accessories end but once electric bikes are in full swing the need for accessories will go down.

Buying culture is shifting, many Harley riders as we've known them are checking out now that they're senior citizens.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Harley has already showcased a few adventure concepts that they hope to bring to market. For now its just called the Pan America, but its a big departure from their traditional styling.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If Harley can do that then its about time they looked into buying a sport bike brand and running with that

·
Registered
39 Posts
Until they can start getting some new buyers, I don't know how much working capital they have to play with for buying into other brands. They should be cutting out unsuccessful models all together until they regain their footing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think Buell used to be one of them but that brand has done so bad that virtually no one knows about them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Erik Buell has actually joined up with another company for a new electric bike start-up called VanguardSpark Motorcycles. They have always been at the forefront of design and HD would have been wise to allow them to develop some new electric models in house. Now they are going to be forced to compete against them. Currently they have two different models in development.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Lot of lost opportunity and to be honest at this point the industry is seeing so much change that even upcoming brands can take over.
If it wasn't for this move to electric I wouldn't even think that was possible.

·
Registered
60 Posts
They have been a lot of startup electric motorcycle companies that have fallen by the wayside over the years. So I wouldn't take any concepts to heart, because they may never reach production. It's only going to take one game changing product for the entire market to follow suit however.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think that even the brands that pull through, might be bought up by Harley. I'm sure Harley has acquisition money sitting somewhere, just waiting. However you do have brands like Honda that can leverage battery electric systems in more than one market.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts