Livewire Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not for me - I'm happy running off my home (shed's) circuitry.

But, one of my (rural) neighbors is semi-interested in a LW and since he is mostly off-grid, asked me if I knew if a LW can be charged off a petrol generator.

Specifically, a Honda with 3kW (3.6kVA) max output and 2.8kW (3.36kVA) continuous output coming through 2 x 230V sockets, for Level 1 overnight charging.

I told him I had no idea, and I would ask the cognoscenti... so here I am asking y'all :)

·
Registered
My2020 LiveWire
22 Posts
Not for me - I'm happy running off my home (shed's) circuitry.

But, one of my (rural) neighbors is semi-interested in a LW and since he is mostly off-grid, asked me if I knew if a LW can be charged off a petrol generator.

Specifically, a Honda with 3kW (3.6kVA) max output and 2.8kW (3.36kVA) continuous output coming through 2 x 230V sockets, for Level 1 overnight charging.

I told him I had no idea, and I would ask the cognoscenti... so here I am asking y'all :)
If it is the 3600CX then I do not believe it is an inverter generator, the possibility of dirty power is real so
I would be inclined to install a quality filter between the output and LiveWire.
Might be wise to upgrade his energy system prior to purchase of LiveWire.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello again all. Bumped this to see if anyone knows about safely / successfully charging a LW off a generator with (Honda) inverter technology - said to be suitable for "the most sensitive electronics" (that's Hondaspeak for clean power with a stable signal = sine wave.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...and I have asked the HD dealer this question also and will update on any reply.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a link to a wordy YouTube video that partly answers my question.

They did get both a 17Kw EV and a ?100Kw Tesla charging - but that Honda generator, while nice, is both seriously expensive and very heavy.

·
Registered
Livewire
38 Posts
For me it's working, focus on having a nice sine wave quality before buying.
some time with a commercial wording like "pure sine wave".

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Out of curiosity I checked what that Honda generator would cost here in New Zealand. NZ$9500... Well that made that decision easy :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts