Livewire Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Livewire
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we are, 220V plug in the garage, a second 220V charging cable and a home made 3D print 3 colors logo, equiped with led and sensor detector.

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
131 Posts
Here we are, 220V plug in the garage, a second 220V charging cable and a home made 3D print 3 colors logo, equiped with led and sensor detector. View attachment 568
very nice!

What manufactured charge device did you go with?
Still considering one for my house... not that I need it now (since L2 isn't a thing for the bike)... and I have the cable included with the bike... but figure a future cage would warrant one... so it's an investment.

·
Registered
Livewire
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
very nice!

What manufactured charge device did you go with?
Still considering one for my house... not that I need it now (since L2 isn't a thing for the bike)... and I have the cable included with the bike... but figure a future cage would warrant one... so it's an investment.
Its a second hand automotiv cable from VW, the eletronic device is included in the white plug.
Note that for Europe the HD charger and also the plug on the LW is different from US because of EV plug standard are not the same.

Eric

·
Registered
131 Posts
Its a second hand automotiv cable from VW, the eletronic device is included in the white plug.
Note that for Europe the HD charger and also the plug on the LW is different from US because of EV plug standard are not the same.

Eric
oh gotcha. ok - so it's not a charge box, it's a charge cable (similar to what's provided with the ELW) but for 220v instead of 110/120v.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
Livewire
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes a second charging cable to not open the LW underseat box at home and I have also added a amp meter beside the 220V wall plug to have a look at the value when charging.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes a second charging cable to not open the LW underseat box at home and I have also added a amp meter beside the 220V wall plug to have a look at the value when charging.
I've really been tempted to buy several of these... so I can leave one at friends and family's places.
Otherwise, I ONLY carry the one HD gave me on long trips (for emergency), else it just stays at home, 'cause when I'm out on a fun run, I expect to use a CCS charger anyway.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When my LW was delivered last year, it came with a third-party cable which worked excellently, but was not OEM because of the combination of the New Zealand three pin plug and our 220 V electricity. Now Harley have just delivered to me the Harley New Zealand cable, i.e. branded Harley, and it is more compact and fits underneath the seat so that I can leave it there for rides away. I tested it on a full charge overnight and it works well, so thank you to Harley New Zealand for providing me with a spare.

·
Registered
Livewire
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
in EU this is the power supply /charging cable... a too big box, and we havent' the locking plug system..
as describe in the owner manual...

·
Registered
Livewire
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the casing is also design for that but cleary, it's annoying to pack this equipement... bad access, small case..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes the casing is also design for that but cleary, it's annoying to pack this equipement... bad access, small case..
well that just sucks. And I agree... while a necessity on trips where you might be further between fast chargers, I'd carry mine in a backpack or small tail bag, vs at all.
And... furthering that challenge, I'm working on a chopped seat, which won't accommodate the plug at all... let alone hardly anything under the seat... as I won't have a bucket any longer... "MAYYYBE" a small pan, but not much room.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can now see I have exactly the same unit as Eric does, just with a New Zealand plug applied. It was finicky packing it but at least it fits.

I'm looking forward to seeing TC what you come up with for your chopped seat!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I can now see I have exactly the same unit as Eric does, just with a New Zealand plug applied. It was finicky packing it but at least it fits.

I'm looking forward to seeing TC what you come up with for your chopped seat!
Here's a teaser video of the seat

I have a second set of support bars already... I just need to chop them and create a pan for the underside of the seat and mount it.
I'm keeping it SUPER simple and using the chopped second seat I bought so it matches the lines of the bike (per suggestion by numerous other riders!)
I'm contemplating putting a combo led blinker/run tail/stop lamp inside the seat rear (sewing it in place)... but I'll cross that bridge when I come to a good combo part.
Since it's dead simple to setup, it should be super easy to take off, update and put back on!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts