Livewire Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a real possibility I may be moving to Cape Cod, MA from Savannah, GA, could anyone offer any tips and/or insights on riding in cold weather? I have gear down to about 40F here in Savannah, but our humidity is almost always high. The whole area is surrounded by wetlands, rivers, and swamps. I've visited NYC, Boston, and Maine, and remember it being dry air compared with Florida, where I've dwelt most my adult life, and I'm just plain ignorant as to what you folks in the north with dry air consider a bottom temperature for riding, and any tips or tricks you might have to extend your riding window?

Southern California is about the only other place I've lived, so I really have no bearing on what life on a motorcycle in the North is like.

Guess I should also ask if anyone's had any issues with their Livewires in the cold?

Thank you for any insights.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Eric, thank you! The gloves are going on my list. And that's why I like this forum.

I have what HD sales indicated is their warmest jacket, a thick leather, flannel lined one that is great. Bought it with my last HD (2018 Fat Bob) with the amazing discount from buying a bike, you know, at those crazy cheap HD prices, lol.

Also, I have boots that keep my feet toasty, and I have a couple varieties of neck gators.

Hands and legs seem to be the toughest areas to maintain warmth even here in Savannah, Georgia (USA) in the winter. One good thing is where I'm going has much lower humidity. Example, last night it was 72% in Savannah and 48% in Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

Any additional insights to extend my riding season, especially ideas on commuting to work and keeping my legs/knees warm would be most appreciated!

·
Registered
Livewire
38 Posts
riding window is also a topic in this forum,I'm sure to have seen one on it; but no so evident to create one in line with the style of the LW, the pressure on such part is important when riding = rigid fixation event for a small window.
I'm thinking of creaing some thing 20cm height = approx 8 " max....but if a part already exist, wellcome !

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ironically, I just spoke with my Savannah, GA neighbors who came from the area where I may move, and apparently "black ice" is a big issue in the Northeast USA. So even if I want to commute at 40F, they warned me the low in the night will create these invisible black ice hazards. I've ridden past street motorcycles in the snow, but they were of no equivalent value of a Livewire. And I still remember it as if yesterday, I was in the Appalachian Mountains and slid off the road on a Honda Magna many years ago and was lucky to ride it out about 100 meters through the woods before getting it back on the road with wheels down the entire time. Scared the living crap out of me.

Love the gloves idea, and I still need to figure out pants by fall. But I guess I need to set some limits as to my expectations. Might be a 6-8 month riding season.

And totally get what you're writing about a windshield and how hard it would be to find one that fits the Livewire style. I didn't like the look of the Livewires on the Apple TV show. They looked too ordinary to me. The manufactured Livewire has style unique to itself. That was what got me in the store to even consider buying one. In fact, I refused to take a test ride until I negotiated a price I could live with. Then I learned how crazy fun the Livewire is to ride.

Still wide open to ideas on overpants or whatever to keep my legs warm.

Thank you Eric for taking time to respond!

·
Registered
2020 LiveWire
14 Posts
I am on the opposite side (PNW) but put on 5000 miles plus since November on mine. Coldest ride 28 F on the gauge. I too use heated gloves, I have an inner jacket that is heated with a USB battery (Kickstarter), I have foot warmers, and wear rain pants under riding pants. Just ride.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Happy Buddha,
Thanks for the encouragement, and wow on the mileage! I'm convicted I need to ride more just from your post.
If you don't mind explaining the rain pants under riding pants, I'd really appreciate it. The heated gloves will certainly manage my cold hands, but I still need to address cold legs.
Thanks,
Happy Brad

·
Registered
2020 LiveWire
14 Posts
Brad, I have found the rain pants to perform as a wind stopper, hold in body heat, and if it gets wet they also keep me dry. There are days I still came home on the chilly side, below 30 F rides, but always with a smile.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking the other way around, that the rain pants would go on the outside. But you're actually riding in 30F, so I'm trusting the advice. Thank you!

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
121 Posts
I ride all year in Seattle, well below 30 many days plus rain and wind chill.

I use a heated jacket and occasionally heated gloves if I'm riding above 40mph for long.

I power it from the bike so it's always good, no separate batteries. Powered through the RESS (via HDMC approved jumper), NOT the 12v.

The jacket is the controller, I can plug my gloves and a pair of pants into, although I've never found a need with heated pants as long as I wear my flannel pants and layer. 😁

This is the setup the HDMC engineer's provided for installing extra components NOT on the 12v.
2. Install a Switched Circuit Adapter Harness PN 70264-94A, The part needed to make the Y adapter is: electrical-connection-update-kit.

*It is important to add these to switch power on Livewire and not directly to the 12V battery.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great advice, and what I wanted to know. If my destination is the Cape Cod, MA area, I'm expecting similar weather as yours, only likely a bit less humidity and a bit colder. Otherwise, seems like Portland, Oregon and coastal Oregon were similar to the Cape Cod area. Wife has our Jeep, and presuming we move there, I'd rather trade my 2-wheel drive Jeep in for a 4-wheel drive and not get another vehicle. ...Like the island of Bermuda, where families are limited to 1 car and the husband is on 2 wheels, even the Mayor. That's my family now. Wife has the Jeep almost all the time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
With a real possibility I may be moving to Cape Cod, MA from Savannah, GA, could anyone offer any tips and/or insights on riding in cold weather? I have gear down to about 40F here in Savannah, but our humidity is almost always high. The whole area is surrounded by wetlands, rivers, and swamps. I've visited NYC, Boston, and Maine, and remember it being dry air compared with Florida, where I've dwelt most my adult life, and I'm just plain ignorant as to what you folks in the north with dry air consider a bottom temperature for riding, and any tips or tricks you might have to extend your riding window?

Southern California is about the only other place I've lived, so I really have no bearing on what life on a motorcycle in the North is like.

Guess I should also ask if anyone's had any issues with their Livewires in the cold?

Thank you for any insights.
I bought the "Mobile Warming" gloves/vest (on E-Bay) and they have other heated gear avail. The gear runs on rechargeable batteries in the gear. The gloves have the heating elements on the top of the fingers too. I've used this for several years on my old 6 volt bikes too in 32* f weather, not inc wind chill factors.

GP.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GP,
Great info, and you answered what would be my main question, how long have the batteries lasted. Several years is good enough for me. Do you do any battery tendering during the warm months? This is a loaded question, as I have an electric skateboard, all electric lawn equipment, and, of course, the Livewire. I saw the life in my older iPad Pro shorten SIGNIFICANTLY when my wife used it for a couple years. She would let it die, leave it unplugged... Love her, but she has zero understanding on how to maintain anything electronic. Meanwhile, I'm learning.
Brad

·
Registered
37 Posts
GP,
Great info, and you answered what would be my main question, how long have the batteries lasted. Several years is good enough for me. Do you do any battery tendering during the warm months? This is a loaded question, as I have an electric skateboard, all electric lawn equipment, and, of course, the Livewire. I saw the life in my older iPad Pro shorten SIGNIFICANTLY when my wife used it for a couple years. She would let it die, leave it unplugged... Love her, but she has zero understanding on how to maintain anything electronic. Meanwhile, I'm learning.
Brad
I havenever tendered the Livewire, but I do my other bikes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My bad. I meant your warm weather riding gear. Do you periodically charge that stuff in the summer months? Or can you let that go for a while?

·
Registered
37 Posts
My bad. I meant your warm weather riding gear. Do you periodically charge that stuff in the summer months? Or can you let that go for a while?
No worries.. I put the cold gear away for the summer and i don't charge unless cold day is forecasted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was thinking the other way around, that the rain pants would go on the outside. But you're actually riding in 30F, so I'm trusting the advice. Thank you!

Also, which shoes are best for bike riding?

·
Registered
2020 LiveWire
14 Posts

Also, which shoes are best for bike riding?
I use a KLIM GTX and they work great for me. Protection you’re comfortable with and maybe some insoles that support toe warmers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts