Livewire Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
H-D Enthusiasts,

I just got my LiveWire and am loving it! Am also relocating from Nashville to San Francisco, so am considering a cross-country trip. Has anyone tried something similar with the LiveWire? Any particular routes to avoid due to lack of charging? Thought of doing Route 66, but there are long stretches in New Mexico and Arizona without any Level 3 / Level 2 charging stations.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
170 Posts
H-D Enthusiasts,

I just got my LiveWire and am loving it! Am also relocating from Nashville to San Francisco, so am considering a cross-country trip. Has anyone tried something similar with the LiveWire? Any particular routes to avoid due to lack of charging? Thought of doing Route 66, but there are long stretches in New Mexico and Arizona without any Level 3 / Level 2 charging stations.

Thoughts?
Congrats on the new bike. Be sure to get the PlugShare app to find charging stations. Level 2 charging is no help on x-country riding on the Livewire as it will just charge at a Level 1 rate with Level 2. An iron butt ride has been done in Europe on a LW so long riding is possible with good planning. If your on FB join these 2 groups as some members are planning long rides:

Enjoy the new bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You’d be famous if you could pull that ride off! If you take it on, I’d encourage you to post your journey on YouTube.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cross country is very doable if planned properly. I have a few friends who have done it on electric Zeros. Remember plan, plan, plan. But if you are new to EV bikes I would recommend you trailer it up and take it instead.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I could see it being much easier to do with access to Level 2 charging (as Zeros can use these stations).

·
Registered
170 Posts
I could see it being much easier to do with access to Level 2 charging (as Zeros can use these stations).
Still Level 2 not optimum for a x-crountry trip unless you have plenty of time to spare. It will take 1.5 hrs to charge to 100% (on 6kWh charger) and if your running low on charge it goes into limp mode. Livewire full power down to zero on charge. So like dcar said above plan, plan,plan.

·
Registered
31 Posts
All I mean is that 1.5 hours is a lot less than the 10-12 hours you’ll need if you can’t find a level 3 charger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a million friends. Followed the advice, did a ton of research, and took off earlier this morning. Quite an adventure!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update friends: The cross-country LiveWire journey is going well -- and it has been a truly epic adventure thus far!

The people I have met, the scenery I have witnessed and that sense of exaggerated nature has been phenomenal. Also, no major set-backs except for the software update, which caused issues with the fast charging. Fixed that at HD St. Charles -- wonderful gang!

Made it to Santa Fe yesterday -- and shooting for Flagstaff today. Then on to California.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds like a very cool trip! Are you adhering to the recommendation of only using DC fast charging every 4th time?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Quick update friends: The cross-country LiveWire journey is going well -- and it has been a truly epic adventure thus far!

The people I have met, the scenery I have witnessed and that sense of exaggerated nature has been phenomenal. Also, no major set-backs except for the software update, which caused issues with the fast charging. Fixed that at HD St. Charles -- wonderful gang!

Made it to Santa Fe yesterday -- and shooting for Flagstaff today. Then on to California.
Post some pictures and be safe.

·
Registered
32 Posts

That is great bro! Keep us posted let us know your experience! Post pics or some video and upload it here!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Made it! Just completed this 3,500-mile trip from Atlanta all the way to San Francisco.

What an adventure. LiveWire did great! No issues whatsoever — except for me pushing the range limit between fast chargers (esp. in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona). Rolled in a couple of times with 1% battery power left, which resulted in Adrenalin spikes.

I will also say that this bike guarantees interesting conversations with fellow riders and / or locals at almost every stop — be it at a charging station or a coffee shop.

Overall, an absolutely fantastic experience. Highly recommended!

Last, but certainly not least: Thanks a million for the support & advice. As requested, a few impressions attached:

E0E2A07F-3D5D-4881-AEB6-CF5EA06D92B8.jpeg 6AA5976B-0087-4540-A075-5B87254A3CB1.jpeg 7BF40088-67BD-4F8C-85B2-2F08B7266D2A.jpeg 89A203BA-F455-41DB-AF13-49DBD7BE4320.jpeg B3240AE2-A4DD-444B-8BB9-E283ADCA5D34.jpeg 9CBFDC94-B893-4139-933F-E7CF52FA88B7.jpeg 840C9988-AA44-4ABB-A1B3-CE9F1E526B34.jpeg 4F39943D-6042-4A2B-B844-B496517E370E.jpeg 8D2860F2-2B34-4F83-8C70-803AA82FEE59.jpeg

·
Registered
170 Posts
Made it! Just completed this 3,500-mile trip from Atlanta all the way to San Francisco.

What an adventure. LiveWire did great! No issues whatsoever — except for me pushing the range limit between fast chargers (esp. in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona). Rolled in a couple of times with 1% battery power left, which resulted in Adrenalin spikes.

I will also say that this bike guarantees interesting conversations with fellow riders and / or locals at almost every stop — be it at a charging station or a coffee shop.

Last, but certainly not least: Thanks a million for the support & advice. As requested, a few impressions attached:

View attachment 378 View attachment 379 View attachment 381 View attachment 382 View attachment 383 View attachment 384 View attachment 385 View attachment 387 View attachment 388
Congratulations on a great ride. If you not have joined this Facebook group of Livewire owners from around the world ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/347947482826063 ) please do so. They would enjoy to hear of your adventure!

·
Registered
32 Posts

View attachment 378 View attachment 379 View attachment 381 View attachment 382 View attachment 383 View attachment 384 View attachment 385 View attachment 387 View attachment 388
Great Job! It is a hell of an experience!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome pics! Very interested to know your charging strategy for this trip. Please share!
Great question on charging strategy. PlugShare was my best friend (thanks again for the tip). I typically did 1-2 fast charges a day — and then an overnight Level 1 charge at the hotel. Required quite a bit of planning due to 2 factors:
1) Not all the fast chargers worked — so I usually tried to have a backup somewhere closeby (not always possible). Best bet were usually the Electrify America outlets with 6-8 stations. ChargePoints (esp. at H-D dealers) also worked vast majority of the times — although, I had one defect ChargePoint at a H-D dealer in Oklahoma. Fortunately, the backup was just a few miles away.
2) Especially in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona there were big spots with no fast chargers whatsoever. Had to plan hotel / motel stays strategically to cover 200-300 miles a day. Also sometimes chose things to do (e.g., Petrified Forest National Park) because of availability of charging stations

Overall, worked well. I will say, though, that Level 2 charging would have been a clear advantage on such a trip. .

·
Registered
10 Posts
H-D Enthusiasts,

Thoughts?
Not sure of a route, but check out EV-Connect app. They have level 3 chargers.

GP

1 - 20 of 22 Posts