Livewire Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In anticipation of deliveries for the Livewire, various dealers across the country have begun installing charging stations. These Level 3 DC stations should allow for owners to get 80% of their charge in around 40 minutes or so. This is actually a prerequisite for any dealer that wants to stock the e-bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is smart as it could be a good alternative to avoiding queues at public stations. Newer ones do allow you to check in real time if there are empty spots or broken terminals though. Harley could have made these look a bit more...premium imo.

·
Registered
200 Posts
At 110 miles of range this will be great for anyone planning to do long distance riding which on a $30k bike I haven't seen much of.
My guess is that most people will be fine with charging at home. How many miles do you guys rack up daily?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is there a particular reason why basically no charging stations have any sort of roof or shelter from the weather? Why are EV owners expected to sit in the rain, especially when the charge times are substantially longer than a fuel up?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always found that odd as well, but with more established brands getting on board to build up the infrastructure I would imagine this will change soon enough. If you have a look at new companies like Fastned, these kinds of stations are already starting to pop up in Europe.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Even existing gas stations like Shell are starting to implement chargers at various locations. They are however still separate and isolated, which I agree is something that needs to be addressed. At least with Tesla they have lounges for you to wait in.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Even existing gas stations like Shell are starting to implement chargers at various locations. They are however still separate and isolated, which I agree is something that needs to be addressed. At least with Tesla they have lounges for you to wait in.
They have a map showing where to find charging stations near you. For my area (new york) the spread is enough to rely on their chargers no matter where I travel in the state
See for yourself: https://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/st...sb2NhbGU9ZW5fR0IjL0A1NC4zMDM3LC00Ljc3OTc5LDZ6

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice!
Home charging is what i'm after which will only become more important as I also plan to get an electric car. On longer trips those chargers will become useful.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Nice!
Home charging is what i'm after which will only become more important as I also plan to get an electric car. On longer trips those chargers will become useful.
like 90% of people owning any electric vehicle...
public chargers are mainly for long distance driving/convenience like what Tesla already has setup

·
Registered
24 Posts
like 90% of people owning any electric vehicle...
public chargers are mainly for long distance driving/convenience like what Tesla already has setup
Businesses like Starbucks and similar coffee shops might also get into the business. In the 30min-1hr you can enjoy a beverage and/or food item, 50-100% of your battery can be charged. That's a good deal IMO.

"The LiveWire has a pricetag starting at $29,799, has a 140-mile city range and the capacity for a Level 3 charger, which means it will charge from a depleted battery to full in an hour or less. And Harley-Davidson wants you to spend that hour, of course, in one of its dealerships, checking out all the other bikes as well as the accessories available for your LiveWire."

·
Registered
200 Posts
@Scott Peterson but what's the pay off?
Most coffee shops I go to are filled with students studying and rarely anyone from the crowd that would buy a $30k bike.
Maybe i'm wrong but I expect very few locations to have them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I guess in upscale neighborhoods it can work well and just about anywhere that has a large concentration of EV drivers. Once one coffee shop does it the rest will follow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is smart as it could be a good alternative to avoiding queues at public stations. Newer ones do allow you to check in real time if there are empty spots or broken terminals though. Harley could have made these look a bit more...premium imo.
It's also a good way for Harley to drive more traffic into their dealerships. Owners can charge their bikes and it can give prospective customers a better idea of what the bike is like.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts