Livewire Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. So I'm trying to replace my display, since the one on my bike I just got used is scratched and in bad repair generally. I found a nice one on ebay and have received it. I hooked it up and it works fine, except it shows INVALID VIN for the mileage, which I guess is because it hasn't been "married" to the ECU on the bike. I was hoping it would just be a true display, and that all the info like mileage etc would come from the ECU so there would be no compatibility problems, but that's not the case. Apparently I'll have to take the bike in to a dealer for a $175 hook up to their computer. Ok, fine.

Here's the problem: In trying to get the existing display off I'm stuck at these so-called TORQUE HINGEs holding the display to the handle bar clamp. They provide the appropriate resistance to movement while allowing the display to be adjusted up and down. I can't find any way to remove these darn things though, and it's got me stuck. I've tried prying them out with a small screwdriver but it's chewing up the rubber and I don't want to go any further in that direction unless I'm sure that's the way. I've also tried hammering them in, as if they'd push through but that's not it either. I just don't see how they come off. You can sort-of tell from the expanded parts diagram how they are installed.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks! I'll attach some relevant pics.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design
Product Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

Attachments

· Registered
2022, Liquid Black
158 Posts
I've not done this, but per the service manual it looks like removing the torque hinges is destructive and they should be replaced.

Supposedly you rotate the instrument modulef ully "rearward," which aligns keyways on the torque hinges, then you drive them out with a flat punch. The service manual is specific to using a flat punch, so you don't expand the pins and make them harder to drive out.

· Registered
34 Posts
You in luck buddy. I took my out recently due to screen defect (lcd glue leak) and the dealer I bought the bike from agreed to replace it under warranty. Unfortunately they are thousands of miles away from where I am, so have to DIY for the uninstall and install. Took them 2 weeks to get the replacement screen from Milwaukee HQ.
Rectangle Eyewear Shipping box Bag Luggage and bags

So first thing first, tools
1. You need 1 of these 6mm flat head drift punch with a hammer.
Ruler Font Rectangle Metal Kitchen utensil

2. Now you need to align the hole between the screen hinge and the handlebar clamp hinge. You can see the handlebar clamp hinge hole is actually 0 degree align with it base. So you need visually align the screen with the clamp.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

3. Once you align them make sure you cover the handlebar with towel or cloth to protect it just incase you scratch it as well as remove the front fairing cover. Now use the drift punch and the hammer to gently tap those torque hinges out it will slowly give way if the holes are align. They can only go 1 way either tapping from the left or right all the way through. Make sure you don't use brute force and don't damage the hole edges.

4. You need brand new torque hinges when installing the new screen. You can't use the old one cause it been skim.
Font Rectangle Plastic Transparency Fashion accessory

5. After that you need HD DT2 to merry the bike and the new screen. Bob your uncle!

Good luck!

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both very much! I was able to get the old screen off and new one on without too much trouble, once I knew these key secrets! The new one works fine, but shows the VIN ERROR all the time and won't go into system settings, I guess until I get it "married" to the bike, which I'll break down and do next week. Thanks again guys I really appreciate it!

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Somewhat interesting update: I took the bike to the dealer ("biggest" one in TX, so they say) to try to marry the new display to the bike. They had it back for 25 minutes then came out and said, "sorry, we can't get it to work. it may be our computer, we're not sure, we don't really know what we're doing, the one Livewire guy is out today, but he'll be back tomorrow. why don't you bring it back and maybe he can get it." Sheesh. I guess it's not super surprising given how new the tech is, but still, when you take your bike to a dealer (charging premium price for sure!) you have a right to expect premium service. I'm disappointed, but hopefully when the one guy who went to school for it comes back, he can get it fixed.

· Registered
34 Posts
It's the same way as any Harley merrying new electronic part with the bike using DT2. Same as a Road Glide changing its speedometer. Luckily my new screen some how doesn't have the vin error message probably because its a brand new part or the dealer management to calibrate it off the bike.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brief update: the dealer tried but was ultimately UNABLE to get the "new" display to marry to the bike, so I guess I'll be returning it and looking for other ideas to cover the scratches. I was surprised but they said once a display has been driven more than 30 miles on a bike it is permanently attached to that vin, and cannot be reassigned. The only benefit to this I can see is Harley's revenue selling new screens, but I don't see myself spending $1100+ on a brand new unit. I'm looking at "screen protectors" now since they might change the look and reflectivity of the display and effectively solve the problem.

Thanks again to all for the help with this one though! Cheers and ride safe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts