Livewire Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bill just signed into law will give a tax credit for electric motorcycles equal to the lesser of 30% of MSRP or $7,500, but only for purchases made after 12/31/2022. The Treasury could make changes, but I would be surprised if they change the amount of the credit. It will be very interesting to see if the dealers and manufacturers raise their prices (already extremely high) to share in the credit. If you buy now, you're losing a lot of money. I plan on buying as soon as I'm sure I'll get the credit. That will put the cost a bit high, but still in an acceptable range. Check with your tax advisor for confirmation. Rick

·
Registered
95 Posts
The EV motorcycle tax credit along with the electric bike tax credit didn't make the final bill.

In the new bill, there's a tax credit again for installing an EV charger, which had expired in 2021.

In Pennsylvania, the AFV rebate of $500 for electric motorcycles expired on June 30th, but will continue as of September 1st. State/County incentives are your best bet at this point. My electric company also chips up a modest $50 rebate for an electric motorcycle.

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Wow super lame. I mean I guess good for me not losing the 7k out the door. I thought it was in the Senate bill. They take it out to keep that corp tax loop back in?

So dumb bicycle and motos should be at the front of the line. Less energy not just different energy. If everyone is driving a Hummer and f150 electric it isnt gonna be great.

·
Registered
232 Posts
So crappy. I wonder if the three wheelers like Archimoto and Apterra made it in. Fricking car culture! Lets not use less energy or resources. Those heavier vehicles tear up the roads and cost more at every phase of their life time. Don't get me wrong I have a 3500 van. But I only want to use it in the rare case. Won't stop me from buying my Apterra next year but still.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The EV motorcycle tax credit along with the electric bike tax credit didn't make the final bill.

In the new bill, there's a tax credit again for installing an EV charger, which had expired in 2021.

In Pennsylvania, the AFV rebate of $500 for electric motorcycles expired on June 30th, but will continue as of September 1st. State/County incentives are your best bet at this point. My electric company also chips up a modest $50 rebate for an electric motorcycle.

Unfortunately Detansinn appears to be right and I was wrong. I relied on earlier articles. I checked out the law (Public Law 117-169) that amends IRC section 30D. I became hopeful when I saw section 30D(g)(2) that allowed the credit for two and three wheel vehicles. Sadly, the definition of qualifying two and three vehicles says the definition expired January 1, 2022. Back to the poor house. Rick

·
Registered
95 Posts
Unfortunately Detansinn appears to be right and I was wrong. I relied on earlier articles. I checked out the law (Public Law 117-169) that amends IRC section 30D. I became hopeful when I saw section 30D(g)(2) that allowed the credit for two and three wheel vehicles. Sadly, the definition of qualifying two and three vehicles says the definition expired January 1, 2022. Back to the poor house. Rick
It is a total bummer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm still going to wait until 1/1/2023 to buy. Jack R. just posted an excellent video explaining what happened to the EV credit and the possibility that lobbying might get the EV credit restored to the bill. I would hate to buy now and find that I missed out on the credit. Just sold my BMW S1000R and am without a bike, so it's going to be hard to wait that long. After riding the Energica, Zero and Livewire, I'm convinced that the Livewire is the best bike for me. Rick

·
Registered
114 Posts
I thought the bill had already passed and was signed. If so, seems very unlikely we'll see it. If it does happen, it will crush the price of the used ones UNLESS LiveWire jacks up the price to make more $$$ per unit.

Meanwhile I am enjoying riding the bike rather than waiting for something that may not happen.

·
Registered
2022, Liquid Black
158 Posts
I thought the bill had already passed and was signed. If so, seems very unlikely we'll see it. If it does happen, it will crush the price of the used ones UNLESS LiveWire jacks up the price to make more $$$ per unit.

Meanwhile I am enjoying riding the bike rather than waiting for something that may not happen.
Yep

Signed and enacted as of 8/16. There aren't any changes happening to it this year.

Ride on!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm still going to wait until 1/1/2023 to buy. Jack R. just posted an excellent video explaining what happened to the EV credit and the possibility that lobbying might get the EV credit restored to the bill. I would hate to buy now and find that I missed out on the credit. Just sold my BMW S1000R and am without a bike, so it's going to be hard to wait that long. After riding the Energica, Zero and Livewire, I'm convinced that the Livewire is the best bike for me. Rick
It's quite unlikely that you're going to see any action between now and next year given the midterm elections and holiday legislative break.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts