Livewire Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question, are electric bikes better faired or naked? I'm just thinking do people take to e-bikes better when the fairing hides the lack of an engine, or is showing off the lack of engine a selling feature?

·
Registered
102 Posts
There are usually batteries in replacement of the engine and fuel tank so the space is usually still filled up. I don't think the fairing needs to hide the lack of an engine though. Designers should embrace that. it offers new opportunities for designers.

·
Registered
233 Posts
faired would look better to me and suit the look you expect an electric bike to look, a bit futuristic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just make it a monocoque chassis and hide the boring electric bits. It can be suited to the needs of the design. Cooling ducts for the cooling systems (battery, motor, gearbox) mounting points for bags, shaped for efficient aerodynamics etc.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just make it a monocoque chassis and hide the boring electric bits. It can be suited to the needs of the design. Cooling ducts for the cooling systems (battery, motor, gearbox) mounting points for bags, shaped for efficient aerodynamics etc.
I dont know if you know this, but that would actually make the motorcycle a car...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are usually batteries in replacement of the engine and fuel tank so the space is usually still filled up. I don't think the fairing needs to hide the lack of an engine though. Designers should embrace that. it offers new opportunities for designers.
usually, you mean e-bikes are sold batteries not included ;) Theres nothing for th designers to embrace though, what they're designing is still held by the same constraints as a traditional moto...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Honda made a monocoque chassis for one of the GP machines back in the day Junko. It made engine service difficult however. I doubt that would remain a problem with an electric machine.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I dont know if you know this, but that would actually make the motorcycle a car...
This is true.

Harley Doesn't need to be making cars now, or bikes with monocoques, that would be weird.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts