Livewire Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey mates,
So I recently bought the official HD Livewire Frame Sliders/Protectors and to my shock and horror they arrived and the official instructions have me attaching these things to the bike with double sided tape. I like the part and think their solid, but I can't see how these heavy pieces will hang on through all elements and time with some 3m tape. I expected a bolt. I wonder if it's worth adding some type of epoxy?
Anyone buy these and have any insights?
I guess I'm worried my $200 official ELW upgrade is going to eventually fly off, or when needed, only be affixed with tape. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I bought these and had the same initial reaction when I was fitting them, then thought about it and said to myself "self, these will still protect the frame if I drop the bike when stationary. If I drop it at speed, lots of other stuff at other points of contact will grind off on the road surface anyway so whatthehell."

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought these and had the same initial reaction when I was fitting them, then thought about it and said to myself "self, these will still protect the frame if I drop the bike when stationary. If I drop it at speed, lots of other stuff at other points of contact will grind off on the road surface anyway so whatthehell."
I agree in principle re: a crash. But still wonder how they will hold overtime with just tape?

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
132 Posts
I agree in principle re: a crash. But still wonder how they will hold overtime with just tape?
I use double sided tape for lots of things outdoor in Seattle... it will need replacing.
I have lost numerous things due to my lack of checking the "stick" level on some things.
HDMC's double stick options are also very low quality.

If you don't want them to come off "sooner" rather than later, I'd invest in some better double/stick and then do a force test on it every now and again.
Heat, cold ,rain and product quality will all effect its longevity.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You guys are 100% correct, as I recently lost balance of my Livewire after a long leg workout, and the bike, while I caught it, landed where the frame protectors would have been had I had them. Fortunately, the "drop" was so gentle there was absolutely no visible damage. Not even a scratch. But I now see the value of these bumpers and will likely get a pair soon. I'm moving into a residence on Cape Cod, MA with a broken shell driveway, and I plan to re-start P90X, so my legs will be weak again.

Good thing is a Livewire can be lifted up by one person. I was so tired from a crazy leg workout a few years ago, that my previous bike trapped my leg and I just laid there until my roommate (before I remarried) came outside and helped get the bike off me. He laughed for a while first, but I was too tired to give a crap. I was prepared to sleep through the night lying on the driveway had he not come outside to help me.

Point is, I now see the value of those bumpers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey mates,
So I recently bought the official HD Livewire Frame Sliders/Protectors and to my shock and horror they arrived and the official instructions have me attaching these things to the bike with double sided tape. I like the part and think their solid, but I can't see how these heavy pieces will hang on through all elements and time with some 3m tape. I expected a bolt. I wonder if it's worth adding some type of epoxy?
Anyone buy these and have any insights?
I guess I'm worried my $200 official ELW upgrade is going to eventually fly off, or when needed, only be affixed with tape. Any ideas would be appreciated.
I have a little over 14,000 miles on my Livewire 175//500 (December 2019) with the Harley-Davidson frame sliders on it from the beginning,… and yes I was very skeptical at first but I have to say the bike fell over twice and I was sure glad they were there both times with no signs of any damage to the bike and the sliders are still securely attached holding on with the original tape.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a little over 14,000 miles on my Livewire 175//500 (December 2019) with the Harley-Davidson frame sliders on it from the beginning,… and yes I was very skeptical at first but I have to say the bike fell over twice and I was sure glad they were there both times with no signs of any damage to the bike and the sliders are still securely attached holding on with the original tape.
That's a really great endorsement. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
132 Posts
got some pics of them on from numerous angles?
I've only see one other ride with what I think are sliders, or something... but the ones I've seen look like they were 6" long... and horribly ugly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts