Livewire Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Recently had a slight alteracation with our dirt road. Bike came down fairly hard on the right side, brake lever is bent and master cylinder was covered in clay. Rest of bike OK apart from a few scratches. However now front brakes won't work properly? After bleeding get good pressure and brakes work OK but holding lever on, all pressure releases and can freely roll bike forwards or back? Also brake light stays on,rear brake is OK. Have never had to bleed ABS before, is this the problem, need a reset? Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks Joe

· Registered
2022, Liquid Black
158 Posts
Did you remove the brake lever to clean the perch?

And if so, did you shim the lever when reinstalling, to avoid breaking the button for the brake light switch?

If you didnt remove the lever and the light is staying on, it sounds like you might have damaged something on impact.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did remove lever and cleaned, not sure what you mean by shimming the the lever and did not notice the light switch. Will take lever off again and recheck. One thing I did notice is that the piston rod is loose under the rubber grommet, i.e feeels like a toggle switch is this right, not seen this before.

· Registered
2022, Liquid Black
158 Posts
My bad on this. I was thinking of the previous gen bikes that have a switch in the brake lever. The livewire has it with the ABS control unit.
You know, when I was looking at other HDs wth ABS, they pick up the brake light through system pressure.

But reading the Livewire electrical manual, it does still have the typical mechanical switch at the front lever. And that switch is prone to damage during lever replacement, if not done right.

Didvyou figure out your problem?

· Registered
18 Posts
You know, when I was looking at other HDs wth ABS, they pick up the brake light through system pressure.

But reading the Livewire electrical manual, it does still have the typical mechanical switch at the front lever. And that switch is prone to damage during lever replacement, if not done right.

Didvyou figure out your problem?
Hi, Recently had a slight alteracation with our dirt road. Bike came down fairly hard on the right side, brake lever is bent and master cylinder was covered in clay. Rest of bike OK apart from a few scratches. However now front brakes won't work properly? After bleeding get good pressure and brakes work OK but holding lever on, all pressure releases and can freely roll bike forwards or back? Also brake light stays on,rear brake is OK. Have never had to bleed ABS before, is this the problem, need a reset? Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks Joe
Thanks Joe
[/QUOTE]
Hi Joe,
I had my front brake lever slammed on abruptly and with great force, the front brake worked fine before this incident, but after this it did as you described. The front brake worked initially but if it was held on steady the lever would pull all the way in and the bike would roll. I removed the front brake master cylinder piston and found that the leading seal had 2 grooves that should not be there, I could be wrong but it seems that the rubber seal was forced into the 2 holes in the master cylinder bore as it passed by the holes when it was under higher than normal pressure which may have made the grooves. The fix: replace the piston with H-D part #: 42862-06B PISTON SERVICE KIT, master cylinder. It’s about a $15.00 part.
Wood Gas Auto part Automotive tire Machine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts