Livewire Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello LiveWire community. I’m contemplating buying a LiveWire and have a question about the motorcycle’s potential for future upgrades. Specifically, is the LW designed so that as new battery and/or motor technology comes on to the market it’s able to be upgraded? Since EVs in general are still in their infancy, I have to imagine that the technology will follow an exponential curve of improvement over the next five years and beyond, both in terms of charging capability and range. Under that assumption, a vehicle made with today’s technology would essentially be obsolete (and therefore fairly worthless) in five years if not capable of being upgraded.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
161 Posts
I don't see why not, although the current battery has the bikes vin stored in it to validate with the bike on power up... so it may require a future oem battery or a good hack to get another to work with it.

as for the motor, well, nothing's impossible, but it is in a pretty tight (specifically shaped) area.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Welcome to the Grin Zone.

As TC says, while none of us know what the future will bring, there doesn't seem to be any reason why there can't be a battery upgrade... And engineers tend to be smart people with a practical orientation. (Am also the proud father of an engineer). I would not have thought five years ago that the LiveWire as currently produced, was even possible (with its range, speed, versatility and most excellent standard of finish) in my riding lifetime. Five years from now, if my Mk I LiveWire is able to run, say, only 66% of the top speed and 33% of the endurance of the then-new LiveWire, I'll still count myself a happy owner. And if the Motor Company decide for foolish marketing and dour profitability reasons to discontinue it, then well, I'll be the happy owner of a unique museum piece!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the insight guys. I guess early adopters of any new technology have to be willing to take the risks associated with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts