Livewire Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any definitive information on what Harley Davidson is doing to ensure our Livewires can be serviced in the future in reasonable proximity to our homes? I'm pinging H-D dealerships around Cape Cod, but there's only one Livewire-dedicated dealership in the Northeast USA, on Long Island. None in Florida where more Livewires were sold than practically anywhere. In fact, if you look at the map from the Livewire website, there's only one Livewire dealership east of the Mississippi River, where most of the US population lives. Logical? Hardly.

I'm awaiting responses from local H-D dealerships, but that's only going to answer my here and now question, not our need for future servicing. I bought a 7-year extended warranty assuming H-D would stand by it. For now, I'm just looking for information. My next scheduled service will likely be next spring / early summer. I'm growing more and more concerned about H-D decisions regarding EVs and how those decisions will play out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 H-D LiveWire
5 Posts
DK about others but the H-D dealer where I bought my ELW said they'd continue to provide service as long as H-D (and LiveWire -- the company) wil provide them TSBs, software updates, and parts, despite only having sold 3 ELWs. Their rationale is that everyone who bought an ELW from them has (like me) bought ICE Harleys from them and they don't want to piss off loyal customers. They also said they spent too much on tools, training, etc. to just walk away from. The day I can no longer get mine serviced is the day I donate it to a museum -- LOL!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tcypher. I would love to know more. It may be too early for anyone to know???

And ditto CrossBones on the museum idea. Wonder what kind of future tax credit I could get for that donation? But you are right in the fact that H-D dealerships invested a lot to have Livewires, and I wonder how Harley dealership owners feel about the move H-D corporate made to effectually end the company's EV market at the dealerships that invested in the Livewire's future?

Thanks guys for sharing my concern. It's a great bike, and I know H-D, like many companies, is struggling right now. And with H-D stock taking a beating since May, who knows what's running through the CEO's mind? All I know is I would have stayed in the EV market like things were, developed more affordable electric motorcycles and bikes as advertised, then re-evaluate the decision when I see how EVs effect the bottom end for AT LEAST half the period I did R&D. That's how IBM became great, investing in cruddy times. Sad part is if the CEO had just done nothing he could blame the superconductor shortage on slow EV sales, likely gotten Fed money, and maintained the great PR Harley was getting with the Livewire. Instead, the move looks like one made in desperation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I suspect that the lack of availability of the 2021 models in the eastern US is because too many stores here still have 2020 models. No reason to introduce the new bike that costs $8,000 less when they still need to sell the 2020's. That's just a guess because no one knows. The dealers are especially not happy with this after spending so much money to get in on the first year, they are just as much in the dark as everyone else. Every dealer I have talked to does plan to continue servicing them though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For what its worth...the dealer I bought mine from 2 months ago verbally committed to on-going service. We'll see. Worse case, I will have a helluva story to tell.....already put nearly 4000 miles on so far and absolutely loving it. And, if it turns out that I get "hosed" by HD, I will give Indian FTR a try! But first choice is HD Livewire and Ultra combo that's workin great right now....best of luck and happy trails!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts