Livewire Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

We have been hearing rumors and promises around Harley-Davidson’s all-electric motorcycle for years. Now, just in time for CES 2019, they have finally unveiled it’s official pricing and performance specs.

The LiveWire will be available for 2019 as promised, and interested buyers can place a pre-order at H-D.com/Livewire. The brands first American made electric motorcycle will start at an eye-watering $29,799.

While we don’t know the exact size of the battery pack that’s being used, its estimated all-electric range has been set at 110 miles. For comparison, the Zero SR offers 120 miles of range with a 14.4 kWh pack. As the LiveWire is slightly heavier than the SR (460 lbs), the range difference is negligible.

A regular household outlet will give approximately 13 miles of range for every hour charged. A Level 3 DC fast charger however fully recharges the bike in less than 60 minutes.

It will be faster than the SR, with a 0-60 mph time of 3.5 seconds. Without a clutch or conventional gearing, riders will have instant torque available at any speed.

Harley-Davidson has said that at least one dealership in all 50 states is expected to carry the Livewire and they are still in the process of determining allocations. 2019 is looking to be a revival year for the brand and the LiveWire is an important step forward.

[SOURCE]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not quite sure what Harley was thinking with this kind of pricing. I new that it was going to be expensive, but I didn't think Ducati V4 expensive. The Zero SR can be had for less than half the price and the top spec model outlines a 220 mile range.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I always had a feeling it would be positioned well into the premium range. This should be the first Harley to attract people from brands like Ducati.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Since the Livewire is likely to be limited production, it's only going to be bought by enthusiasts anyways. Think you'd be surprised at how many people are willing to spend that kind of money on a next gen bike wearing the HD name.

·
Registered
60 Posts
With the rivals in the segment, they could also find the exact opposite to be the case. If it was the first bike of its kind, sure it would warrant a higher buy in, but the fact is that competitors have been developing similar platforms for years now.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Very soon Ducati will be stepping into the ring with a range of electric bikes, their CEO even said that "the future is electric". Harley just happens to be the first.

·
Registered
39 Posts
With the EV premium that we are seeing here, who knows that they will mean for an electric under the Ducati brand. I don't see the point of buying an electric bike when just a few grand more could get you into a Model 3.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Harley did do well with the street segment which sort of shows a configuration people would gravitate towards. Brought out as an electric bike I bet it would sell.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We are years away from Tesla ever delivering on the $35k entry level model, and it could never happen. The most economical new EV's are looking to come from VW's I.D sub brand. They've already suggested pricing similar to that of their diesel models.

·
Registered
199 Posts
We are years away from Tesla ever delivering on the $35k entry level model, and it could never happen. The most economical new EV's are looking to come from VW's I.D sub brand. They've already suggested pricing similar to that of their diesel models.
Tesla isn't missing out anyways unless you throw in hybrids. Competition goes as low as the Bolt and Volt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Electric bikes will continue to remain a niche product, until the technology develops further. I think anything with less than 150 miles is going to be a tough sell to the average rider, pricing aside.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would like to see it being on on really like ends of the scale like a battery electric superleggera from Ducati that rivals the Ninja H2
then over time offer cheaper versions as the tech progresses

·
Registered
39 Posts
I expect that interest in these bikes will increase significantly once we start to see entry level models for less than $15k. Sure those on the top end will see interest from dedicated performance enthusiasts, but in terms of mass market adoption, it makes little sense to spend extra money on something that's twice the price and half the range of a regular ICE.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It might even come down to how Harley is marketing these.
Say if it was marketed as a lifestyle product for people who live in the city that don't want the excessiveness of a car then these can sell.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Livewire is a niche product intended for a niche audience. Harley is well aware that this bike speaks to a limited clientele but expect the overall production numbers to be quite low to match. If they only build a few thousand and sell through them all, then they can consider revisions.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well, that's one of the only ways to test the Livewire's concept. Its the first time we're seeing such a bike.
It reminds me of how automakers launched hybrids and electric vehicles years ago.
For all we know Harley has a more expansive plan that includes $10-15k products for the masses.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts