Livewire Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an effort to ramp progress on its electric motorcycle, HD has announced they will be building a new facility in Silicon Valley. This new R&D site will work on a variety of future products, with the focus being its first line up electric bikes. This new hub is expected to open in the fourth quarter of this year, which should help them to deliver the Livewire at some point in 2019.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If HD is heading into a direction i'm thinking they will, losing some of its older customer base to brands like Triumph might be a reality.
With any step towards tech and advancement, a push back follows.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Really hope that the Livewire is just the beginning of performance e bikes from Harley. I think they have the brand recognition to bring these kinds of bikes into the norm, and it should provide them the opportunity to appeal to new demographics.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The company has been long overdue for a revamp, and failing to adjust with the changing industry is what landed them in their current predicament. If the Livewire goes well, I don't see why they couldn't throw the same electric drivetrain into a cruiser.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The company has been long overdue for a revamp, and failing to adjust with the changing industry is what landed them in their current predicament. If the Livewire goes well, I don't see why they couldn't throw the same electric drivetrain into a cruiser.
that's playing with fire because you have a powertrain only newer rider demographics favor with older styling that doesn't resonate with them

·
Registered
66 Posts
It would make more sense for them to place this powerplant into their new adv models that are currently in development. The last thing their cruisers need is more weight, and the range would be pretty abysmal on that frame.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It would make more sense for them to place this powerplant into their new adv models that are currently in development. The last thing their cruisers need is more weight, and the range would be pretty abysmal on that frame.
I'd say after they have brought on the new buyer demo's in good numbers then giving our favorite cruisers like the soft tail some electric treatment is a good timeline.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm not sure that more electrification is the play that Harley needs to make to bring newcomers to the brand. They need to diversify their lineup and begin to introduce more entry level models.

·
Registered
200 Posts
HD Street was a good example of a traditional model that's still relevant today. If Harley keeps that up they should see positive growth.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The newer concepts we've been seeing do indicate that they have recognized their bread and butter products are in a shrinking segment. Newer naked models from other brands are blurring the lines between different classes of bikes and coming up with some really intriguing new designs. The ergonomics found on newer adv bikes is just one of the reasons why so many people are switching.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think its more a matter of being and ideal time in the market due to the economy and other factors that make it ideal for the motorcycle landscape we're seeing today. Without that this growth wouldn't be common across so many brands.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have been liking a lot of the neo sports café models that have been popping up lately. I agree that the market for sports bikes seems to be shrinking in favour of models that are more comfortable and practical to ride on a daily basis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts