Livewire Forums banner

Harley files patent for AEB

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Mac Mike 
#1 ·
It appears as though Harley Davidson believes their upcoming bikes could benefit from more advanced safety systems. They have recently filed a patent for a new automatic emergency braking system, which at first glance may seem like a good idea, I think may actually do more harm then good. A bike suddenly braking without the riders awareness could be very problematic. HD is well aware of these risks, and as such, will be including additional sensors to determine if the rider is paying attention and ready to respond to the emergency braking.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
To me this kind of system will probably end up doing more harm then good. I just don't see how they can realistically alert the rider that the AEB is being engaged, in a way that gives them enough time to prepare themselves. We're talking about split seconds here.

#3 ·
I think a tier system will work well that starts off by giving you soft alerts like a notification, vibrating grips, and so on before finally engaging the brakes as you get closer. Ultimately riders will have to get familiar with their bike as they always have since the beginning of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.