Livewire Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HD has issues a global recall for approximately 44,000 of its Street motorcycles for brake issues. This affects all Street 500, Street 750 and Street Road that were sold between May 2015 and Dec 2018. It looks like the majority of affected models are in India as only 12,800 models are estimated to be involved in the United States. Due to corrosion, brake pads could be dragging, resulting in quicker wear and even possibly an accident. https://www.drivespark.com/two-wheelers/2019/harley-davidson-street-750-recall-india-faulty-brake-calipers-027436.html

·
Registered
199 Posts
One more reason to like the move to electric will be less chances of problem due to a more simplified powertrain and drivetrain.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not a great time for them to be sending out large scale recalls like this, but at least they've caught the problem before it led to any accidents. They have much more severe issues for Indian models back in 2016 that resulted in a lot of injuries due to brake fade.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Goes to prove that moving production overseas can result in quality control issues. There should be less areas of concern with an electric drivetrain, especially on a model that will be built in a limited capacity for launch. I know they have mentioned Brembo brakes for this bike, but I haven't heard specifics about them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those Brembos might be a bit overkill as I would imagine the Livewire has some form of regenerative braking as well. Not sure if its adjustable but that should mean the bike will come to a stop fairly quickly on its own as you ease off the throttle. These systems drastically improve the lifetime of your pads.

·
Registered
199 Posts
autonomous tech would help, its already happening over at BMW and give the prices we're seeing from Harley there might not be a better bike than the Livewire for it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know they have filed patents for AEB, but I can't help but worry systems like that would end up going more harm than good. Losing control of your bike even for a fraction of a second can be the difference between avoiding and being involved in an accident. Riders would have to be given plenty of notice before something automated kicked in.

·
Registered
199 Posts
even more of a reason for this tech to make it in because with gps systems on board and other road data points it can anticipate when certain situations would happen

·
Registered
66 Posts
We don't need to be placing all this autonomous tech on motorcycles. What we need are systems in place for other motorists that recognize nearby bikes. How many motorcycle accidents are a result of people failing to even notice them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts