Livewire Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much can we expect the new Harley LiveWire to cost?
The closest thing I see to it right now on the market is the Zero DS, priced at $13,000.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Apparently the Livewire should be quicker and more powerful than the Zero DS. It falls behind the Zero in terms of torque and range though. I think range is a huge factor in terms of the overall quality of an electric bike too. I have to think that simply because the Livewire is wearing the Harley Davidson name, it should be priced a bit above what the Zero DS is. Maybe closer to $14k or $15k.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I have read as well, something I don't doubt at all about it. I don't think there has been reports on it's weight so even though it is down on horsepower and torque, there's a good chance that it's weight can help make up for this.

Pricing within that range would be good, at this point I think it's more about finding out what we're willing to pay while we wait for pricing to come out

·
Registered
171 Posts
yea but Harley has also built the Livewire with a smaller batter pack than the Zero or the Brammos

Livewire: 7 kWh
Empulse R: 9.3 kWh
Zero SR: 10 kWh

So I don't think its fair to speculate the Livewires pricing based on those metrics. The Harley was built with less range on purpose, the jump from 7 kWh to 10kWh is HUGE in terms of weight for not much more power density. Battery technology should be far better once the Livewire is ready for serial production.

But as for price, the Livewire NEEDS to make economic sense vs an ICE bike. If its going to be billed as an Urban commuter than it needs to come in under $15K otherwise like Teslas they just becoem playthings for the uber rich.

It needs to be just as functional as an ICE bike to make sense for a good chunk of people...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not something to base it off of but it does help to get an idea of where pricing for this might be, as I stated the DS is one of the closest things to what the LiveWire is.

Making economic sense is a must, and if people can get tax credits like those who buy electric cars do then it can be a nice incentive to get a LiveWire, so at least there's that, outside of Harley.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Are there tax breaks or subsidies for electric motorcycles? I have never heard of them for bikes, only cars. If there are subsidies then that gives Harley the ability to up the price considerably.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I can't say for sure, but I would think that there would be subsidies or tax breaks. A motorcycle is a vehicle just like a car, so I would think that the same subsidies could be used for electric cars as electric bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can't say for sure, but I would think that there would be subsidies or tax breaks. A motorcycle is a vehicle just like a car, so I would think that the same subsidies could be used for electric cars as electric bikes.

Massachusetts recently (the same day as the Livewire reveal) started a rebate program for electric vehicles, which includes a $750 rebate for electric motorcycles (obviously not including the Livewire, which is not in production).

https://mor-ev.org/frequently-asked-questions

https://mor-ev.org/eligible-vehicles-list

To search for your state or federal incentives, try searching the Department of Energy web site http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/search, or ask your tax advisor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A motorcycle is a vehicle just like a car, so I would think that the same subsidies could be used for electric cars as electric bikes.

You'll have to read the incentives very carefully. Usually they only apply to "qualified electric vehicles", which more often than not only apply to cars. Contact your state's Department of Energy, Department of Revenue, Department of Licensing, or Department of Motor Vehicles to find out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'll have to read the incentives very carefully. Usually they only apply to "qualified electric vehicles", which more often than not only apply to cars. Contact your state's Department of Energy, Department of Revenue, Department of Licensing, or Department of Motor Vehicles to find out.
with the carbon emissions regulations i heard being applied in europe i think there might be a chance for bikes to eventually make their way to that qualified category. they already put a lot of focus on cars and seeing how many bikes are out their, there's a good chance they will start looking at bikes.

S

·
0 Posts
hi there. currently riding a ninja 650.

the HD LW is theeee best looking 'lectric, hands down, bar none. I'd ride it and be proud of it. LOL.

what I want from an electric motorcycle (I'm a day-tripper only):

200-mile range at 75 mph (ergo a longer range at slower speeds);

I'm ok with an overnight, +-8 hrs recharge time.

black out the mirrors, make'm round, put'm above the 'bars, and retain the integrated turn indicators. I had considered bar-end mirrors for my ninja, but decided my eyes had to travel too far and be off the road too long for them to be useful and safe.

allow accommodations for a top box.

if such a bike were available now, would, say, $14K be a reasonable price........??

steveinsandiego

·
Registered
171 Posts
well if they start targeting bikes the people in charge are stupider than i thought! We have an emissions problem so lets go after the smallest and least significant segment. Yet the ships still sail, the trains still run and the trucks keep rolling...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well if they start targeting bikes the people in charge are stupider than i thought! We have an emissions problem so lets go after the smallest and least significant segment. Yet the ships still sail, the trains still run and the trucks keep rolling...
Correct, but they already have the masses converted into tree huggers, so they might as well go deeper into the pockets of consumers and not go after the problem, just profit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts