Livewire Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley is finally starting to expand outside of its core market with a new deal that was just announced today. The new partnership with StaCyc will see the brand begin to build, smaller EDrive two wheelers for young riders which range in price from $649-699. Could be a smart way to introduce the next generation of buyers to Harley products early on. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/international-business/us-business/article-harley-davidson-moves-into-kids-electric-bikes-with-stacyc-deal/

·
Registered
66 Posts
Glad to see them approaching new demographics and expanding upon their portfolio. They still seem to be making the same mistake with pricing and keeping their audience very niche. Have to wait and see what the products actually look like.

·
Registered
39 Posts
While I can understand this from a marketing perspective, shouldn't we be encouraging kids to exercise more not less? Found a picture of the bikes and they look to be decent quality for the price. 20 volt battery than can run between 30-60 minutes depending on use.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering if anyone was going to mention that. Electrically assisted bikes for kids do seem like a step in the wrong direction. Harley is clearly focused on simply getting kids more familiar with their brand and products.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That responsibility falls to parents, not Harley Davidson. And since you can only get about 40 minutes of use depending on the power mode, kids are still going to have to spend lots of time peddling.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I see it like how some parents get their kids into racing at ages most would think is too early. So its all about education and training. These are probably far safer than what any amount of competitive racing would expose them to..

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't think this is quite what people had in mind when they suggested that HD make some changes to bring in younger riders. They should have instead looked into motocross and dirt bikes as that's where a lot of street riders get their first taste of motorcycling.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It greatly depends on demographics which are shifting a lot these days to the point they need to try new things. I can see how a family living in the city or in suburbs closer to city centers will find value in these new products.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For less than half the price you could buy your kid one of those powerwheel trucks and a brand new bike. I know Harley considers themselves a premium brand, but they continue to limit their consumer base with niche products like this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts