Livewire Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I came across this table when researching this issue a few weeks ago. If I can retrieve the link I'll post it.

It's not about EVs rather related to power tools - but the "logic of current" seems to me persuasive... if you go longer, you gotta go bigger. YMMV.

Matching Extension Cord to Load
Extension cords should be rated for loads that are at least equal to, and preferably greater than, the requirements needed to run a tool effectively. Extension cord lengths of 50 feet or less can be used based upon the chart shown below, but runs over 50 feet should implement the next heavier-sized cord to accommodate voltage drop due to the natural resistance of the wire.

Extension Cord Wire Gauges, Amperage Rating, and Wattage
Wire GaugeAmperage RatingWattage RatingPower Tool Used
#185 Amps600 WattsDetail Sander, Drill, Jig Saw
#167 Amps840 WattsBelt Sander, Reciprocating Saw
#1412 Amps1,440 WattsCircular Saw, Miter Saw, Router
#1216 Amps1,920 WattsTable Saw, Radial Arm Saw

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Found the site...

Exactly what I wanted to know! This article mentions specifically that for 10 to 15amps, a 100ft extension cable should be 10 gauge wire - which is what I purchased (see Option B in my original post, the contractor-grade chord).

Fingers crossed as I test this in a few days! I will report to the group what I find.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The length of the cable impacts resistance… for example, a wire 10 cable will increase the resistance of about 1ohm per 1000 feet. So if you want to safely charge With a 100 feet cable, juste use a good size wire to reduce the resistance of the wire and avoid excessive heat :)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts