Livewire Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking delivery in 3 weeks now :) and the dealer is 4 hours away. I was thinking of riding between fast chargers but on one stretch I'd be trying for 170kms of highway (105 miles). Since I'm not exactly sleek and light... I doubt I'd make it.

Question: there is a longer way with closer-together chargers - but I'd be putting 3 fast charges into the battery in a row which I believe is not a good idea, right? Overnight home charging : fast charging in a 3:1 ratio is better, if I read this forum and other stuff online correctly? I'd rather be nice to the battery from the start as I hope it'll last me years.

Supplementary question: I can hire a motorcycle trailer. Has anyone trailered their LiveWire and if so would you be willing to share tips / pictures of where you tied it down? I'm guessing not the handlebars - was thinking soft loops around the front fork at the triple tree, and again around the rear wheel rim. Plus a wheel chock.

Thanks for any and all feedback / corrections.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Taking delivery in 3 weeks now :) and the dealer is 4 hours away. I was thinking of riding between fast chargers but on one stretch I'd be trying for 170kms of highway (105 miles). Since I'm not exactly sleek and light... I doubt I'd make it.

Question: there is a longer way with closer-together chargers - but I'd be putting 3 fast charges into the battery in a row which I believe is not a good idea, right? Overnight home charging : fast charging in a 3:1 ratio is better, if I read this forum and other stuff online correctly? I'd rather be nice to the battery from the start as I hope it'll last me years.

Supplementary question: I can hire a motorcycle trailer. Has anyone trailered their LiveWire and if so would you be willing to share tips / pictures of where you tied it down? I'm guessing not the handlebars - was thinking soft loops around the front fork at the triple tree, and again around the rear wheel rim. Plus a wheel chock.

The few times I've had my Sporty in my pickup I've tied down from handlebars with loops and from rear tire.

Riding the long way with more chargers is ok. You can do the fast charges and it will not hurt the RESS. You will keep the 3:1 ratio once you have the bike home and do your local riding and home charging. Watch this video at the 12 minute mark and it will tell you all you need to know about the battery. Be sure to get the PlugShare app for your phone. That will show all the chargers that are in or out of service on your route. Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both.

The video is very instructive.

I'm way down under - the nearest U-Haul to me is ~ 15 hours' flying time away :) if we were even allowed to fly...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heh :) 1 hour after I posted, the dealer emailed me with the VIN so I could start reading the Owner's Manual online.

This is of course familiar to all you already-owners but I copy it here for newbies like moi

LiveWire is powered by a lithium-ion Rechargeable Energy Storage System (RESS). Lithium-Ion technology provides higher power and energy density, faster charging, and longer life than traditional lead-acid batteries. The RESS’s onboard DC-to-DC charger handles all charging and maintenance of the 12 V battery.
State of Charge (SOC) is the amount of energy in the RESS available to use before it needs to be recharged. The State of Health (SOH) is the measurement of impedance and capacity degradation of the RESS compared to when it was new. All lithium-ion batteries chemically age through time and use, resulting in a gradual degradation of performance and the ability to hold a charge. A 20% loss of SOH is expected over the life of the RESS warranty.
A battery’s lifespan is related to the chemical breakdown and aging process which involves more than just time and use. It involves duration at high temperatures, types of charging, number of charge/discharge cycles, and storage duration. To maximize RESS performance and help extend RESS lifespan follow these tips:
  • When recharging the RESS, choose Level 1 (110V to 220V) charging when possible. Level 1 charging causes the least amount of stress to the RESS.
  • The RESS does not limit the number of times a Level 3 DC fast charger (480V) can be used. However, more frequent DC fast charging will stress the RESS more than Level 1 charging. If possible, avoid using DC fast charge, exclusively. The suggested best practice is to alternate your charging between Level 1 and Level 3 DC Fast Charge in a 4:1 ratio (4 Level 1 charges to every 1 Level 3 fast charge).
  • The battery will protect itself from thermal damage, however extended periods of time operating at high temperature can speed the chemical aging process and shorten RESS lifespan.
The RESS is designed to charge quickly to 80% of its capacity, at which point the charge rate then slows to reduce the rate of RESS degradation. If the battery is too hot or too cold, the charge rate will automatically reduce to a sustainable level. Charging below 0C or over 50C/122F will result in significantly increased charge time. Under extreme usage or extreme temperature conditions, the RESS may limit its performance in order to prevent damage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oldun,

U-Haul rents easy loading motorcycle trailers for Class III/IV hitches for less than $20/day. And with U-Haul, you have recourse if there are any issues. Given the distance you’re looking to transport your Livewire, it’s probably the best way to go.

For strapping, you can pull off the front cowling and strap to the handlebars just as Mac Mike mentioned. Adding to that, the U-Haul folks can walk you through how their dedicated motorcycle trailers work if you’re new to transporting bikes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks BH! We don't have U-Haul down here but the loading-and-strapping reminders were all good. Especially but not only at 0.33 and 0.55-1.25. Thank you!

I'm off in 5 days to the dealer. Bwahaha... anticipation is building up!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oldun,
My bad missing that you're from New Zealand on the U-Haul suggestion. Duh. Regardless, New Zealand must be beautiful and an awesome place to ride a Livewire. I'm jealous! Just watch out for a little blue guy with a gold ring. He’s likely to try to trade you the ring for the Livewire.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Sorry i don't have a better picture, and I'm american so i don't know mertric... but HEED THE WARNING:

DO NOT RUN PAST 0%

YOU WILL DRAIN THE 12V AND YOU WILL BE UNABLE TO CHARGE ANYWHERE UNTIL YOU GET IT GOING (SEE 'LONG WAY UP' lol).

The thing they aren't making a bit deal out of in that show, but that I have found to be true, is that they are running at 40 MPH a lot in order to make it as far as they are. Highway speeds will give you 70 miles per 100% charge MAX in my experience.

Plan on extra time for any trip longer than 60 miles, look for chargers ahead of time.

Have fun, stay safe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OMBTS:

Thank you. That pic is indeed useful. And while I'm a Kiwi I grew up with miles and still use them mentally :)

I appreciate the 'real world' range guide. My usual blow-out-the-cobwebs ride is ~80 miles; there are three different loops of that range close to home; one twisty, one rural, one semi-rural. Also, we're speed-limited here to 60mph on the highway with zealous LEOs collecting cash for their masters, and ever-present speed cameras - so I'm gonna see how keeping the speed at about 100kph/60mph plus regeneration charging, will work out for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I commute 16 miles each way daily, a mix of approximately 70% highway (65mph-75mph) and 30% city (whatever I can get away with safely), and I'm getting an average range around 90+ miles per charge. I can barely make three 32 mile round trips per charge, if I risk a third trip. It may be a mistake to think this, but it sure seems like my range went up switching to Sport mode. If so, I credit turning down sensitivity of the traction control and ABS, and upping the regen braking. Electronics (and batteries) in general tend to improve in cooler weather, and we're just getting out of the 80's-90's (F), so I remain optimistic I might see a 0.00001% improvement through the fall and winter.

Oldun, read your first ride review. I share your sentiments. I once drove a street legal racecar, and it was similar. You look where you want to go, and you're there, seemingly instantly. It's such a rush!

·
Registered
37 Posts

I would ride it if I where you. Just plan for an extra stop or 2 to compensate for lack of knowledge of bike and how it runs with you and the environment you are in.

I will make a great adventure, trust me I know!

Diegoi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts