Livewire Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
Has anyone had any issues with a shutdown warning running heated gear? I put my pigtail on the small battery just the same way I have on a dozen other HD MC's. Riding into the shop yesterday on an errand the weather was cold and raining slightly so I wore my heated jacket.
The ride from my home to the dealership where I work is 35 miles and 20 miles in I looked down and saw a red triangle lit saying shutdown warning. Being that I was doing 60mph I was afraid of being run over if it shutdown suddenly lol. I reached down and shut my jacket off to find the warning lamp shutting off. I rode a little further and turned it back on to see if it would repeat itself and it did. I left my bike at work and Uber'd home, just curious if anyone else has had a similar thing happen. Wanted to ride tomorrow to go ride the new PanAmerica!! but not sure if this is a big issue or not.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Greetings all,
Has anyone had any issues with a shutdown warning running heated gear? I put my pigtail on the small battery just the same way I have on a dozen other HD MC's. Riding into the shop yesterday on an errand the weather was cold and raining slightly so I wore my heated jacket.
The ride from my home to the dealership where I work is 35 miles and 20 miles in I looked down and saw a red triangle lit saying shutdown warning. Being that I was doing 60mph I was afraid of being run over if it shutdown suddenly lol. I reached down and shut my jacket off to find the warning lamp shutting off. I rode a little further and turned it back on to see if it would repeat itself and it did. I left my bike at work and Uber'd home, just curious if anyone else has had a similar thing happen. Wanted to ride tomorrow to go ride the new PanAmerica!! but not sure if this is a big issue or not.
The small 12v battery is the problem. HD does not want owners adding any extra load to that battery or it will void the warranty for that battery. This is the weak point of the Livewire. I wanted to add aux LED lighting and was advised not to do so by my White Glove engineer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The small 12v battery is the problem. HD does not want owners adding any extra load to that battery or it will void the warranty for that battery. This is the weak point of the Livewire. I wanted to add aux LED lighting and was advised not to do so by my White Glove engineer.
Thanks for the reply I sort of figured that that was going to be the weak link. I’ll have to figure out if there’s another way of putting a power port for my heated gear. I’ll talk with her certified tech at the shop and find out if he can contact HD tech-support and see what they have to say, I’ll let you know.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I but in a12 volt relay. I have had no problems Over 17,000 Miles.

I hooked the trip wire to the bottom wire on the head light.

I hooked the power wire to the wire with the loops to cut in case of emergency. Use a battery tender wire with a fuse. I put in a 20 amp fuse.

I power my heated grips, heated jacket, heated pants, and heated gloves.

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
66 Posts
The dealer did not hook mine up "directly" to the12v... as warned by HDMC not to use the 12v for accessories.

As I understand the hookup, both my led accent lights and heated plug run from the RESS (almost in the middle of the RESS and 12v.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
The dealer did not hook mine up "directly" to the12v... as warned by HDMC not to use the 12v for accessories.

As I understand the hookup, both my led accent lights and heated plug run from the RESS (almost in the middle of the RESS and 12v.)
Can you share anything more?

JJ

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thank you!
So these are the notes I have for when they installed my heated gear plug and led lighting.

1. Install a Switched Circuit Adapter Harness PN 70264-94A, build and matting connection from the Y adaptor using the mating connector 72511-07BK and terminals 72169-07. *It is important to add these to switch power on Livewire and not directly to the 12V battery.
2. Install round 12v Hotwired Plug adapter to #1 setup (near seat for ease of plugin)
3. Install Spectra Glo LED Lights to #1 setup

·
Registered
48 Posts
HI

I opted to do the following to bypass anything on the 12v circuit.

I am using THE USB C plug connected to a USB-C to USB-A powered HUB. The HUB is getting its power from a 26800mAh power bank which is stored on a cylindrical fork bag under my headlight. The USB switch is inside the Headlight Front Fairing where I can power any device at will.

From the USB HUB I am powering

1 5v Dual Channel DVR
1 Set of Bluetooth Enabled Led water resistant LED lights
1 Cell phone
and I still have 2 additional powered USB ports for other hardware.

LED Vid IG
LED Pics IG

Front Bag

165124208_821178848470521_7266193082704593788_n.jpg

LED USB LIGHT and Switch

·
Registered
66 Posts
be very careful about the above USB suggestion as it not recommended by HDMC (has been verbally advised against by chief engineers, warning that it could cause an overload on the USB setup - at your own risk) and could cause more problems than you want and or void your warranty.

If your concerned about that, I'd get HDMC's "OK" in writing to use in case something gets overloaded.

just sayin'

·
Registered
48 Posts
be very careful about the above USB suggestion as it not recommended by HDMC (has been verbally advised against by chief engineers, warning that it could cause an overload on the USB setup - at your own risk) and could cause more problems than you want and or void your warranty.

If your concerned about that, I'd get HDMC's "OK" in writing to use in case something gets overloaded.

just sayin'

just sayin'
Correct DO THIS AT your own risk and do not take any mods, fixes or advise from this or any other boards pages or forums as valid solutions.

1st consult with your local dealership to see if it will not void any warranty.

Forgot to mention this USB C circuit is not part of the bike onboard powered USB separate circuit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Correct DO THIS AT your own risk and do not take any mods, fixes or advise from this or any other boards pages or forums as valid solutions.

1st consult with your local dealership to see if it will not void any warranty.

Forgot to mention this USB C circuit is not part of the bike onboard powered USB separate circuit.
With our above cautions... I also run a dual camera and phone charger off the USB-C port.
ATM... nothing else, but I really want to find out how much it CAN handle to get the most out of it... without killing it.
*note the USB-C port IS part of the head-unit/dash/"instrument" - which is a $976.95 +tax replacement if you break it. - just sayin'

*we're just here to let you know what "has/not" worked for us. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts