Livewire Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new(ish) here.

I got my livewire a few weeks ago, but have been lurking here for a bit.

First bike, and loving it so far!

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
161 Posts
Hey everyone, new(ish) here.

I got my livewire a few weeks ago, but have been lurking here for a bit.

First bike, and loving it so far!
Welcome! Hope to see more of your feedback, questions and more!

Enjoy the rides!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m also new here. Just took delivery a couple weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone is aware how to obtain the Electrify America activation code and if anyone knows the features in the Instrument Module software update 02.02.00 since my LiveWire was delivered with the version 1 software. H-D also shows a version 3 software for the LiveWire One but I’m unsure if that’s applicable to the 2020 model. Since the owners manual details the software update process should it be assumed that they intend this to be an owner applied update and a dealer isn’t necessary?

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
161 Posts
I’m also new here. Just took delivery a couple weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone is aware how to obtain the Electrify America activation code and if anyone knows the features in the Instrument Module software update 02.02.00 since my LiveWire was delivered with the version 1 software. H-D also shows a version 3 software for the LiveWire One but I’m unsure if that’s applicable to the 2020 model. Since the owners manual details the software update process should it be assumed that they intend this to be an owner applied update and a dealer isn’t necessary?
the EA code has to be obtained from the dealer.

the bikes firmware is bug fixes mainly and needs to be performed by a tech at a service center.
*they really should have done that before delivering it to you.

·
Registered
142 Posts
NoRemorse, your first bike ever is a Livewire? Wow! I hope you give yourself ample time at lower power and work into it. I've launched my Livewire from a light at 100% power, and I barely managed to bring it down bottoms down after 30 years of riding. I now ride at 80% power, unless on a highway. I'm too trigger-happy on my Livewire to keep it at 100%.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NoRemorse, your first bike ever is a Livewire? Wow! I hope you give yourself ample time at lower power and work into it. I've launched my Livewire from a light at 100% power, and I barely managed to bring it down bottoms down after 30 years of riding. I now ride at 80% power, unless on a highway. I'm too trigger-happy on my Livewire to keep it at 100%.

Congratulations!
First bike ever. Currently I am riding mostly in eco and street, and sport mode scares me! My dad was the one test riding them for me. He's been riding for 40years, and his first hit in sport mode, he said it scared the life out of him, but subsequent rides he felt more confident on it. I've put a few hundred miles on it so far and my confidence on it has grown quite a bit. Still have only blipped it a few times in sport, which is exactly enough to know that I'm not ready for that!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wise! Very wise!!
There are some crazy fast ICE motorcycles that have beaten the Livewire's quarter-mile time of 11.156 seconds. But very few bikes made are in that class. Up to around 110 mph, the Livewire is a rocket.
Glad to hear your dad is involved, as I took a motorcycle safety class some 20 years into riding, and the old school guys teaching had plenty to share. Aside from yelling at me while racing around the test/training track (lapping others in the class), it was great. And I think it amused the old school guys watching me take a Buell and ride it like a Kawasaki Ninja H2R. The Buell was no Livewire; it was closer to a pedal bicycle.
Glad to hear you're working into the Livewire. I did. Might say I still am. Mine's outside my office even now. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wise! Very wise!!
There are some crazy fast ICE motorcycles that have beaten the Livewire's quarter-mile time of 11.156 seconds. But very few bikes made are in that class. Up to around 110 mph, the Livewire is a rocket.
Glad to hear your dad is involved, as I took a motorcycle safety class some 20 years into riding, and the old school guys teaching had plenty to share. Aside from yelling at me while racing around the test/training track (lapping others in the class), it was great. And I think it amused the old school guys watching me take a Buell and ride it like a Kawasaki Ninja H2R. The Buell was no Livewire; it was closer to a pedal bicycle.
Glad to hear you're working into the Livewire. I did. Might say I still am. Mine's outside my office even now. :)

The only reason mine's not outside my office is that I'm picking up a trailer today for it. In my state you can get a learners permit and ride with someone licensed, and I was riding with my dad the last 2 months until I got my endorsement this last weekend.

And the only reason for an 11s 1/4mile time is that it's already at the limiter at that point, meaning up to the limiter it's even faster compared to similar ET bikes. I bet changing up the gearing would lose on the short end of the track, but might make up for it at the big end, but that would be a less fun bike at "regular" speeds.

I don't plan on pushing it that hard though, not any time soon. Knowing it's that much of a rocket is fun enough for now!

·
Registered
142 Posts
You're spot on. The bikes with sub 10 sec times were around 140-150 mph at the end of the quarter mile. If the Livewire were captured on high speed film at 100 mph, I wonder where the "faster" bikes would be?
I still hold that the Harley engineers were surprised when they finally made a Livewire and tested it. I suspect some were even shocked. I'm an engineer and calculations are great. But things are different when the "rubber meets the road."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're spot on. The bikes with sub 10 sec times were around 140-150 mph at the end of the quarter mile. If the Livewire were captured on high speed film at 100 mph, I wonder where the "faster" bikes would be?
I still hold that the Harley engineers were surprised when they finally made a Livewire and tested it. I suspect some were even shocked. I'm an engineer and calculations are great. But things are different when the "rubber meets the road."
Same here, former auto engineer myself, and my wife is actually a lead electrification engineer at an auto maker, so I totally get it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My first engineering job was for Freightliner Trucks. We’d have issues when Packard would send a wiring harness with one wire crossed. The Livewire is closer to the electronic controls of a jumbo jet than most any car on the road today. And I applaud your wife’s career choice. She picked a good one.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Someone (at H-D) may take issue with what was posted here before. While the mechanics certainly have the schematics, I suspect H-D would prefer to pretend no one else does. Unless they're publishing a shop manual???

I'll just leave it that your wife picked a great field of engineering. I once thought Hydrogen powered autos would be our future; but even if that were to come back up, it's still electric. We'd be trading a battery for a really expensive tank / fuel cell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts