Livewire Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to start a thread here. Bike has developed a high pitched whine or squel. Could be a belt noise or a bearing. Seems to have started post some rainy and colder riding. Regen and coasting doesn't cause it only on throttle. Must be belt noise. Will call the dealer for an appointment.

·
Registered
2020, Harley Davidson LiveWire
281 Posts
Since my squeak has been around since Oct '19, and has not gone away unless I put a little thick lube on the outer edge of the belt I'm wondering if the belt tensioner could be a problem?

Is it supposed to spin or does the belt just roll over it?

·
Registered
281 Posts
And you had the belt break right?
Yes, although I'm pretty confident that was "more" due to being under full power (on the throttle) when going over a bad hump on the road, which caused my wheel to spin to full speed and then suddenly stop when it hit the ground, snapping it.

That said, it still squeaks, after a new belt.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is your belt rubbing against the sprocket rim? I’ve heard that squealing is attributed to it rubbing against the gear rim or there is some fine particulates/dust between the teeth and belt. Dropping the wheel, remove the belt, clean the teeth, and realign might fix the issue. I’ll be doing just this soon to check. My 2nd LiveWire was fine until I changed the rear tire - instant squeak. I also notice if I ride on a dusty road it eventually starts squeaking after a while.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Perhaps This article can help?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Perhaps This article can help?
Thanks this is great. Though it does seem to track temp. As it seems to happen at the transition below say 45 degrees or so but worth checking. I don't have stand but I could do with with a lot of back and forth.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks this is great. Though it does seem to track temp. As it seems to happen at the transition below say 45 degrees or so but worth checking. I don't have stand but I could do with with a lot of back and forth.
while I have a stand, I only use it for painting the frame and rims.

I picked this roller up for lubing the belt... inexpensive way to spin up the wheel(s).

·
Registered
281 Posts
yes, I am using it on the jiffy. I do secure the front brake though with a gearTie. I keep them under my seat for ferry trips or hills or any reason I might need to keep it locked in place. I don't trust the inline brake buttons.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It should adjust automatically with the tensioner… BUT both sprocket are slightly angled to push the start against the exterior rim of the sprocket. From another forum is the belt might rub against that rim and « sing ». they were suggesting to add silicon based lubricant to the side of the strap to diminish the singing. I did but snowstorm came in so did not have a chance to test if it took care of it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts