Livewire Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it isn't only HD/Livewire but at this point I feel like I have been ripped off. If less the half the CCS chargers work the device isn't in spec. I don't think it is appropriate that we paid for this and it doesn't work. This is a key feature of the bike. Sans CCS this bike isn't worth the price. How do we organize to get this resolved? Maybe this is why the Del Mar have it cause if just doesn't F'ing work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know it isn't only HD/Livewire but at this point I feel like I have been ripped off. If less the half the CCS chargers work the device isn't in spec. I don't think it is appropriate that we paid for this and it doesn't work. This is a key feature of the bike. Sans CCS this bike isn't worth the price. How do we organize to get this resolved? Maybe this is why the Del Mar have it cause if just doesn't F'ing work.
I suppose you mean Lvl 3 chargers at HD Dealerships?

One thing I have noticed is that most dealerships just plug the bikes in with the lvl 1 charger and don't use the lvl 3. Also, when the travelling Livewire Demo fleet visits an HD dealer, guess what gets fixed? The lvl 3 charger!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bet. Yeah the Paradise HD dealership charger is broken. Old Charge Point needs new modem card. I mean all L3 chargers. Where I live 50% of them don't work. Makes riding the bike any distance beyond reach of home sketchy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Electrify America is pretty solid and actively updating their network.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

EVGo is expensive, but clearly making investment as well.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Many Chargepoint CCS chargers were knocked offline with the 3G sunset. It’s not a problem unique to Chargepoint. A lot of chargers were reliant upon 3G modems for connectivity. Chargepoint chargers are typically owned by the property which can make updates, etc less predictable.

The 3G sunset is a big factor. Older operators like Blink, etc are largely unusable as they have been very slow to roll-out updated hardware.

With that being said, newcomers like Volta are popping up everywhere. Huge investment in CCS/Level 3 charging is happening.

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle Tire

I’ve been traveling an average of 1000-1500 miles per week in my Taycan 4S since March. There are scaling issues, but I have never been left walking. Plan, use Plugshare, monitor the Electrify America app, and you’ll be fine.

I am not saying that there isn’t room for improvement, but the big players are stepping up. EA recently replaced all of the chargers at our nearby mall with their next generation units. All 350kw and a new reliable design.

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Hood

With the massive investment going on for new CCS/Level 3 charging infrastructure, I don’t see Level 2 as a safe bet. We literally see new CCS charging pop up every month here in the northeast. No one is a making the same kind of push for Level 2. Skipping CCS charging on the Del Mar basically condemns it to a short trip plaything.

Plant Automotive tire Tree Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am getting more consistent results with EA. I think it might have been user error/horrible user interface. And since I didn't need it I didn't call of fight it out. Now I think I have the flow. Decent success with EVCS and newer chargepoint installations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts