Livewire Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you score Harley's entry into the electric motorcycle segment?

Scorecard so far
"Without knowing how the LiveWire did in the ultimate product test — getting folks to give up money and buy one — there is some scorecard feedback to register on Harley’s electric debut.

To start with the negative, the company really missed the mark on the $29,000 price. The messaging on the price and product placement has shifted a bit since I first started talking to HD about LiveWire. In July 2019, Harley execs gave the “premium product” jingle on how the $30K price was justifiable over comparable e-moto offerings, such as Zero’s SR/F, priced $10,000 less.

More recently a Harley-Davidson spokesperson (commenting on background) described the LiveWire as a halo product — more of an attention-getting model, and not priced for mass-market. Whatever actually went into the EV’s pricing, the consensus of just about everyone I’ve spoken to on the LiveWire is that it was priced too damn high.

On the thumbs-up side, Harley-Davidson did nail a lot of important factors on its electric debut. The company had a difficult task of creating something that bridged two worlds, at least in attributes and public response. The bike had to check out in features and performance as a legitimate e-motorcycle entrant. The LiveWire also had to pass the sniff test with Harley’s existing clientele — who are loyal to American-made chrome and steel cruisers and aren’t exactly the Tesla, EV crowd.

Price and unknown sales numbers aside, I’d say Harley-Davidson achieved both. I spent a day testing the 105 horsepower LiveWire on a track and pestering HD’s engineers on all the bike’s features, including range (95 to 146 miles) and charge time (60 minutes). Overall, I found it to be a solid package across performance, design and key specs. Most of the motorcycle press has agreed.

HD also succeeded in engineering an e-motorcycle in a Harley-Davidson way, including styling and creating a distinct, yet subtle, sound for its EV. I showed some LiveWire photos to my grandpa — a loyal loud-pipes Harley rider since the 50s — and he responded favorably, saying he’d love to try one out. So HD’s electric debut did arouse the right kind of response and enthusiasm with the right crowds, which is something to build on."

Those are just some points from a publication which in my opinion do well at highlighting the important ones. I'm curious to know what actual owners think since publications often get these bikes for a week at most and rarely get to dive deep, like an owner would.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ok, nothing special. Energica has it beat at all points and 5K cheaper. Livewire? 30 K bike with no heated grips, no way for luggage, no windscreen and told by HD not to add any extra load to the 12V battery.The only way to consider the Livewire as a "halo product" is if it gets folks to buy Harley's ICE bikes or go look at Zeros and Energicas which is going to happen as there are no other electric bikes with the HD brand.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Saw your other post and really think you should consider selling your Livewire. If nothing special to you, why not get what you really want?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mac Mike,
Hopefully that didn't come across as disrespectful. I actually liked all your activity when I first joined the site. But after reading your fatalistic prognosis for Harley Davidson several times and all the negative thoughts on the Livewire, I just figure it's either not a bike for you, or you work for the competition? Either way, it's cool. For many, the Livewire is awesome. Just read the actually rider reviews, not merely the paper comparisons.
And for the record, I don't own H-D stock, although it's done well given COVID-19. This is only my second Harley, so I'm comparing it with an exquisitely customized 2018 Fat Bob, a bike I loved. I'm just getting home from my 16 mile commute, there's no comparison in the fun of riding a Livewire vs a big V-twin. The Livewire does things a V-twin could never do (and vice-versa over long mileage).
Love our freedom of speech, for as long as it lasts. So please rebut at will. You won't change my mind. I love my Livewire, as do all my friends who ask to take it for a ride (as if).
Brad

·
Registered
48 Posts
Harley can fix the Livewire. I did. First I know the battery well out last most people‘s ownership. Follow everybody else charging requirements. Charge at home every night. Fast charge to less than 100% when possible.

Do not be afraid to hookup a relay for heated gear. You have to have a relay so you do not drain the 12 volt battery. My bike has Harley heated grips.

I also built a luggage rack for the Livewire. I use a leather covered H-D tour pack

i put a set of baby apes on and a zero touring windshield.
I now have over 12,000 miles on it.

Like every bike I have owned. Make it yours. Harley screwed the pooch when they did not come out with proper accessories. Ability for the dealers to give windshields, bags, heated grips, different Handle bars. And what happened to their fucking lower pegs, they first had in accessories when it came out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mac Mike,
Hopefully that didn't come across as disrespectful. I actually liked all your activity when I first joined the site. But after reading your fatalistic prognosis for Harley Davidson several times and all the negative thoughts on the Livewire, I just figure it's either not a bike for you, or you work for the competition? Either way, it's cool. For many, the Livewire is awesome. Just read the actually rider reviews, not merely the paper comparisons.
And for the record, I don't own H-D stock, although it's done well given COVID-19. This is only my second Harley, so I'm comparing it with an exquisitely customized 2018 Fat Bob, a bike I loved. I'm just getting home from my 16 mile commute, there's no comparison in the fun of riding a Livewire vs a big V-twin. The Livewire does things a V-twin could never do (and vice-versa over long mileage).
Love our freedom of speech, for as long as it lasts. So please rebut at will. You won't change my mind. I love my Livewire, as do all my friends who ask to take it for a ride (as if).
Brad
Hi Brad. I'm a Harley Fanboi all the way. I've only owned Harleys. That's why I bought the LW. I see this is just your second HD. I've owned 5 over the last 15 years. My last Harley before the LW was a 2016 CVO Road Glide. That bike was 42K so I was not concerned about the MSRP of the LW. My thoughts on the LW are just my thoughts and not trying to change minds at all. But for 30K Harley could have done better. As you can see from Crilly's post above we have to add more to the Livewire to match the competition. But then again that is not unusual for HD bikes as they are the most customizable bikes on the markets. Just get their parts catalog and see for yourself. As Crilly said Harley did not come out with proper accessories for the LW. As for my reviews I just tell it like it is, for the money the competition is way better. I never have said I don't like my LW or regret buying one. In fact my First Strike number is 36. Enjoy your LW as I do enjoy mine also.

·
Registered
58 Posts
eHD,
The Livewire is an awesome bike, period. As noted many times, it's expensive. And there are not a lot of accessories. But it's not a bike with need for many. I bought the custom "windscreen," a joke for the price. But it looks cool.
Answering the nature of this conversation, I give the bike a 10. But it's not a cruiser, and I'm not riding for distance. 100 mile range is perfect for my needs. And fit and finish are superb. I don't see a competitor to the bike, but some rather good substitutes for a few dollars less, something I agree with Mike on. But go check out the other electrics for yourself. I think we should buy what we like.

Mike,
A 2016 CVO Road Glide is a nice ride!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts