Livewire Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Super Moderator
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you take twice the range or loose 150lbs?

I think I would loose the weight and hopefully gain some storage or room to install some battery temp management systems.

· Super Moderator
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd buy that save 100lbs get 30% more range or some such split. I hope the electronics aren't super opinionated so we will be able to do this some day. Kinda cool my dad's 2016 Leaf has a 2022 40kWh pack that never shipped in it. Car is fine with it.

· Registered
221 Posts
I have to say I almost never need more range but I would take it. I'd probably use more power far more frequently than the range. The extra range is just "a nice to have", until you need it.

I think the range is less of an issue in general as I knew going in the range wasn't massive. I also changed were I mostly ride from Florida to Dallas. Dallas is a lot more urban and dense that where I was in suburbia in Florida. I had to ride a lot more to get where I wanted to be in general. About 5 miles to the beach, then a 30 mile ride along the beach, then return.

In Dallas, I am just so landlocked by dense traffic it isn't worth the hassle to go very far anyway. Some of the onramps onto major expressways are very short and the acceleration capability is always a blessing. I went from using about 1% per mile avg in Florida to about 1.4 miles per 1% of charge. There were times I actually depleted the pack from 90%-10% in 50 miles in Florida. A lot more options there to enjoy the higher speed range of the LW.

I will say even my small fairing helped with the range.

· Registered
120 Posts
I have to say I almost never need more range but I would take it. I'd probably use more power far more frequently than the range. The extra range is just "a nice to have", until you need it.

I think the range is less of an issue in general as I knew going in the range wasn't massive. I also changed were I mostly ride from Florida to Dallas. Dallas is a lot more urban and dense that where I was in suburbia in Florida. I had to ride a lot more to get where I wanted to be in general. About 5 miles to the beach, then a 30 mile ride along the beach, then return.

In Dallas, I am just so landlocked by dense traffic it isn't worth the hassle to go very far anyway. Some of the onramps onto major expressways are very short and the acceleration capability is always a blessing. I went from using about 1% per mile avg in Florida to about 1.4 miles per 1% of charge. There were times I actually depleted the pack from 90%-10% in 50 miles in Florida. A lot more options there to enjoy the higher speed range of the LW.

I will say even my small fairing helped with the range.
If anything, that additional battery kW would help create more padding b/w high and low states of charge, would be healthier for the battery in the long term if your mileage doesn't change but the capacity increases.

· Registered
2020 H-D LiveWire
84 Posts
For me, range. Definitely range. There are a few places I like to ride to where I take my Street Glide only because needing to charge is an issue. I’d much rather do these on the ELW because it would be more fun and I wouldn’t be burning expensive gas.

· Registered
221 Posts
I looked out today and it was $2.50 a gallon today. If I take my Tesla on a trip, it costs me quite a bit more to use supercharging than it would to take my car getting 33 mpg and drinking regular.

When gas was at $3.10/gallon, it cost me to use the supercharger about the same as a car getting 33 mpg.

Doubling range, unless they doubled charging speed, isn't going to get me a lot. Sure I could ride 2 hours, but then take 2 hours to charge. Now if I could ride 2 hours at highway speed (@ 75 mph) and charge in 30 min, I'd be a lot more interested. I don't see that happening anytime soon given the slow OBC they have now and the cost to upgrade it.

· Super Moderator
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah some of that room would need to be thermal management for the pack. Yeah. Gas is expensive here and electricity cheaper. Haven't thought about it much but typically high speed is 7x the cost I pay at home off hours.

What is the max speed there in board does now?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts