Livewire Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sometimes mine will pair immediately, sometimes not. What I've been doing when it doesn't, I go to system, bluetooth, pairing. While the pairing screen is up on the bike's screen, I'll open the bluetooth setting on the iPhone. If HD-DCCC isn't already connected by this point, I select it. This usually works.
Another aggravating problem that's happened a couple times, sometimes the bluetooth disconnects while driving. I have to stop when I can, then repeat the process.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
It seems like this is a known issue with Harley. I have not discussed this with my dealer yet (its a hassle to pay them a visit). Seems like this could be fixed with a firmware update.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm taking mine in for 1000 mile service tomorrow and will ask them for an update. I'll keep you posted if there's any difference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well...I thought by wiping my phone I solved the problem. Now my iPhone will initially connect to the bike, but as soon as you turn the bike off and on again the phone will not restore connection. Anyone else having this issue? SO FRUSTRATING!
I've been having so many BT problems, I thought I'd come up to the forum to see if others are seeing the same things.

I have an iPhone XS Max, running the latest iOS (14.4.1) and my LW is up to date as well (1.02). I also have a Shoei helmet with a Sena BT comm system.

The helmet connects to the phone 100% of the time and never drops but the connection to the bike drops pretty much every time I go out for a ride. Once it drops, I have to stop, shut everything down and power back up, letting the bike connect to the phone then letting the helmet connect to the phone.

I'm pretty sure the issue is with the LW, not the phone. When the bike drops the connection, if I go into BT settings on the phone and try connecting again, it will do so for about a second then I'll get a notice on the phone saying the connection dropped and that the bike needs to be closer or some such error. That tells me the bike is refusing to maintain the connection for some reason. Why can the phone stay connected to other devices but not the LW? The problem must be with the code in the LW.

I'm going to try a few things to see if I can get it to stay connected. First is to rename my phone to something that has no spaces in it (iPhoneXSMax). Next, I'm not setting it as a Favorite device on the LW. I also cleared the cache on the LW (Settings->About->Factor Options->Clear Cache). Doing so should clear out any paired BT devices. I'll then re-pair my phone and see how reliable the connection is.

I'll post updates to this thread if I find that what I've done causes any changes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since I'm the only one driving my bike, I also turned off the "favorite" part. I'll also try clearing the cache.
Today, my Bluetooth connection dropped twice. While it's irritating, what I do to reconnect is just pull over, put down the side stand, and go through the steps to "pair" on the bike screen. Then I open the Bluetooth steering on the iPhone, and HD-DCCC will connect if it hasn't already. I've learned though trial and error that if I try to hit HD-DCCC on the iPhone without the other steps, it won't connect.
Like you, my helmet always connects immediately. Sometimes the bike will connect right away, sometimes not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It seems like this is a known issue with Harley. I have not discussed this with my dealer yet (its a hassle to pay them a visit). Seems like this could be fixed with a firmware update.
No difference after I had the maintenance done. I reminded them to check for an update, so I'll assume there's not one out there right now.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It is an individual bike problem in my opinion. My phone does not connect to my LW but I have connected to 3 other LWs with no problem. I believe the fault is in the IM and the MoCo does not want to acknowledge the problem.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
It is an individual bike problem in my opinion. My phone does not connect to my LW but I have connected to 3 other LWs with no problem. I believe the fault is in the IM and the MoCo does not want to acknowledge the problem.
Did you try and connect/pair just once? Or did you connect and restart the bike multiple times to verify that it automatically connects?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Did you try and connect/pair just once? Or did you connect and restart the bike multiple times to verify that it automatically connects?
Connected to unsold LWs sitting in the showroom floor at the dealer. The service dept. was testing to see if it was an iPhone problem. Did not try to restart as my problem is my phone does not connect period. They tried to get HD to replace my IM on warranty but HD refused.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Update - For some reason my phone seems to be connecting to the bike without problems. Only thing I can think of is that the HD App was updated recently. Other than that I have no idea why its working now. Anyone else having the same good luck?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update - For some reason my phone seems to be connecting to the bike without problems. Only thing I can think of is that the HD App was updated recently. Other than that I have no idea why its working now. Anyone else having the same good luck?
Still hit or miss. Connected right away when I left the house, then had to be manually set up again when I was leaving the pit stop. On the way home, the bluetooth dropped as I drove on the interstate. (n)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Some positive observations today.

About 2 weeks ago, I cleared the cache on the LW (Settings->System->About->Clear Cache), deleted the LW from my phone's Bluetooth list and turned Bluetooth off from the LW.

Today, I re-paired the phone with the bike, re-paired my SRL2 helmet comm system with the phone and went for a ride. The phone stayed connected to the bike even after 2 stops, one to charge the bike for 10 minutes at the local HD dealer.

As I ride more this Summer, I'll come back to this thread and update with what I find.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
After I wiped my phone and started over, things seem to be working pretty well. I find that if I have all my apps closed prior to powering on the bike, the Bluetooth usually connects. I have my phone mounted to a Qi Quad Lock mount/charger. I have never had Bluetooth disconnect while riding. The Qi charger seems to maintain the phone battery when using the GPS directions via the Harley App, but I have noticed that it drains the battery if you use the Trip Tracking function on the Harley App. I‘ve also noticed that the Harley App has been updated a couple times lately. I suspect that this app has something to do with the Bluetooth issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
...I‘ve also noticed that the Harley App has been updated a couple times lately. I suspect that this app has something to do with the Bluetooth issues.
I don't use HD Connect while riding so I can't be sure any recent updates have affected my BT problems. I think mine may have more to do with cleaning out my list of BT devices on the phone and cleaning the cache on the LW.

I recently got a USB tester so I'm going to see how much current the phone actually draws while riding and compare it to plugging it in to an A/C adapter at home.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts