Livewire Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
The other electric bike manufacturer that I hear about often is Zero. It looks like their bikes get around 100 miles of range as well depending on how you are driving them. I see 67 hp on their Zero S model. Pricing comes in at $17,845 - $20,485.

So I'm not sure that Brammo is running away with the title of "Benchmark Electric Motorcycle."

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thats fine but the Brammo has been called the most traditional like of the electric bikes. Head to head the Empulse R has blown away the Zero S in the eyes of most respected publications.

The Brammo has been much anticipated since it broke cover a few years ago, but it wasn’t until recently that production versions were available. In terms of components, riding position and feel, this is the most internal-combustion-motorcycle-like electric. It’s got 17-inch Marchesini wheels with sporty Avon AV 80 tires in 120/70 and 180/55 sizes. A fully adjustable 43mm Marzocchi fork and Sachs shock make for a decent ride, though the setup is overly stiff.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So is it more about the size and fit of the Brammo, or is it also how the bike actually drives on the road?

I also wonder if "the most internal-combustion-motorcycle-like" is necessarily a good thing. Maybe a bike that still feels like an electric bike could be better than a more traditional feeling bike.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So is it more about the size and fit of the Brammo, or is it also how the bike actually drives on the road?

I also wonder if "the most internal-combustion-motorcycle-like" is necessarily a good thing. Maybe a bike that still feels like an electric bike could be better than a more traditional feeling bike.
well who are you trying to sell bikes too? Because its not like electric cars where over night the market will diversify and you'll have new people coming out of the woodwork. Whats prohibative about motorcycling are the dangers inherent to being exposed, none of that changes with an electric bike. Logically that leads us to the conclusion that the marketplace for electric bikes is the same marketplace for petrol bikes, its the same pool of dollars.

SO by that I don't see how its a bad thing to give the marketplace a little bit of what its familiar with, breadcrumbs to follow if you will.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It definitely won't be a bad thing to have electric bikes be like combustion bikes bikes, I'm just saying that there are definitely alternatives that could also be great. It might take longer to convince the public that these bikes are awesome too. There would be different expectations for those bikes and people have to be aware of that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you mean to tell me electric bikes are different?

As I said above you're selling to the same pool of buyers as an ICE bike, barring catastrophic stupidity they know what you're selling them is different than what they've bought in the past. You need to keep familiarity to induce trial, it makes the transition easier.

Not to mention the 'public' is not just the public, its more nuanced than a mass blob of impressionable dollars. You cant sell the Livewire to an adventure freak in the same way you sell it to a speed freak...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm thinking that people who live in cities might really eat this up, maybe even people who live outside of cities, seeing how good the range is.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm thinking that people who live in cities might really eat this up, maybe even people who live outside of cities, seeing how good the range is.
Depends, as of now electric bikes are just playthings for those with a bunch of money. If you can fit your commute into its range safely then year I can see the viability to a commuter. But also keep in mind Electric bikes are MUCH heavier, how will that factor into rush hour commuting?

·
Registered
233 Posts
that is true, for now it is, i guess if HD finds this to work out well for them they will target lower end segments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts