Livewire Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I just purchased a 2020 Livewire with 64 km on the bike. Still under 2 year warranty until May 5th 2023. (Orange Fuse)

It is being shipped at the moment but I have a few questions that you folks might be able to answer:

1. Is there a way to tell what firmware is installed on the bike and also what is the latest firmware update. Do these go by numbers like iPhone or computers have?

2. Is there any specific recalls or issues that I should be aware of so I can address them before the warranty goes out in May 2023

3. Would you recommend getting an extended warranty on the Livewire and if so what one would you purchase. I don’t need one to cover tires as I can’t see putting enough km on the bike to need new tires before the warranty expires.

4. Do you guys have any extras on the bike that you have fitted to it that you really like.

I was thinking of getting some of the carbon fiber parts.

Your help is appreciated

Respectfully

Bill Kemp
Toronto Canada

·
Registered
181 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new bike! You got the best color, and no I am not biased even though I have the same.

Can't help you on the firmware but I'd just have them check it when they do the 1k mile service. Most likely you will have an issue with the display delaminating. Not 100% likely but a good chance of it. More annoying than anything as the display still works fine.

Get the extended warranty would be my suggestion. I bought used with super low mileage, balance of factory warranty and slapped on the 7 year, unlimited miles, fender to fender warranty for peace of mind.

I think the must have add-ons for me were the mirror extenders, Puig universal windscreen, inflatable seat cushion (think AirHawk), bullet brake (allows you to lock the front brake for parking - I did use velcro strap for a while) and a handy tail bag. I bought a front fender extender but haven't put it on yet.

I bought some pegs I can lower a bit but the taller seat height due to the inflatable cushion may have given me the relief I am looking for. I also installed a quad lock phone mount and love it.

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I am trying to learn as much about the bike while it is being shipped. It is coming from BC to Ontario so it will be at least a week before I even see it.

I like to be armed with as much knowledge as possible particularly with warranty items.

I have never owned a Harley but every time I try to get something done under warranty the fine print come out along with my most hated line

"I'm sorry sir, there's nothing we can do"

Most people laugh when I tell them the line because they have had that used on them as well.

Bill

Ps. I hope more people chime in with other issues to look for. My bike was purchased by the original owner from the dealership I bought it and then traded in and has only 64 km on it but the 2 year warranty expires in May. So I am pretty sure it has never even had a service on it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think your biggest issue will be the OPP... There isn't a speed limit there that you can't likely break with anything over a 3 second burst of full throttle from a standing start.

As for the bike, I've been very happy with it. I've been riding a LONG time and I've owned over 200 motorcycles and still have 12 in the garage so to speak. They don't all fit in one garage so I had to spread them around a bit or my wife would kill me.

My experience with my local dealer has been very good. Didn't give me a lot of BS about something not being an issue. Total opposite of my Tesla experience most of the time.

I am getting close to 250km on a charge with mostly city riding. YMMV or course. That is with speeds rarely breaking about 80 km/h and most of the time 60-70. If you like quick off the line acceleration, really hard to beat this bike. It launches pretty hard and very consistently. Just crushes traffic with no issues.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info on the recall information

The bike is now on it's way to Toronto from BC to a local dealership that will do the safety inspection on it. I will have them check to make sure that the update has been done to my bike.

I also just went onto the harley website and ordered the carbon fibre blade for the front of the bike. Being in Canada the prices are high for add ons so I thought I would start with this one.

It should arrive about the same time I get the bike.

Unfortunately due to the weather in Toronto cooling off fast I might only get a ride or two in before it goes away for the winter.

Any further advice is greatly appreciated on the bike.

Bill

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip on the bullet brake.

I have a 1980 Honda CM400A along with other vintage bikes and it was an automatic 2 speed bike. It had a separate brake lever where the clutch would be used as a parking brake since it was like the livewire that had no way of stopping it from being rolled.

I just ordered a black bullet brake to install on the bike when it comes to prevent it from rolling.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well folks

After taking the bike fir a couple of rides I have to agree that the mirror location is brutal.

I am 6’ and a slender 240 lbs 😃😃😃 and all I see are my arms.

I saw that a number of folks have inverted the mirrors so I just that today. While I am not a fan of looking down to see beside me it behind me it did make things work way better.

I will ride it like this for the remainder of this season

I cannot see a way to be able to use mirrors without extending them way out or raising them way up. Either way it detracts from thevdleek appearance of the bike but I am hoping that someone will post some great solutions to fix this issue

I cannot believe that Harley put mirrors on ggstvwere useless

Bill

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also just noticed that a small 1/2 dime size section in the bottom right corner of my display screen looks like it is delaminating below the glass

Has anyone had this issue and what did you do about it. The bike only has over 125 km on it now and us under warranty until May 2023

If they replace the screen will I be able to keep the mileage on it and also am I going to get some stupid refurbished one

Let me know if you had this issue and what was done about it

Thanks kindky

Bill Kemp

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have the delimitation of the screen. It hasn't affected the functionality other than from aesthetic's perspective. The replacement has been on backorder for a few months now. Now that it has almost totally engulfed the entire screen it bothers me less. ;)

As for the mirrors, I didn't want to invert them as I had issues when I and worried about tank impact. The mirror extenders I used are in another thread and totally solve the issue quite nicely. I think they were $15US on Amazon. Took maybe 5 mins to bolt them on.

If possible, I'd suggest the extended warranty. I was able to get a 7 year, $50US deductible, fender to fender warranty for about $2k US. My bike was used, low mileage and had factory warranty left but I wanted some long term protection. For less 83 cents a day I have good coverage on the bike for an extended warranty. Well worth it for me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree on the warranty thing. I will get the extended warranty just before the 2 year one runs out

I just got my bike a few days ago. It had 64 km on it when I got it. It is like new.

Reversing the mirrors did the trick and they are 1”
away from the tank when fully locked so all good there.

I will contact the local Harley dealership on Monday to record the screen issue so that things are in the system

Thanks fir the info

Bill

·
Registered
181 Posts
A big disadvantage for me having the mirrors down is farther from my line of sight. I don't want to be looking down any more than necessary.

Make sure you get the warranty before the factory one ends. You will also have better/cheaper coverage. I also did it because it covers trip interruption for me and some other benefits. Every plan can be different so look at your coverage closely and shop around if necessary. So even though I had about 600km on my bike, they made me a good enough deal on it that I went ahead and bought it since it also covers issues if NOT at a HD dealer as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well:

I made a HUGE error. I thought my screen had started to delaminate in the bottom right corner. When I plugged the bike in to charge it tonight (first time for me doing this) I took a closer look at the screen and ran my finger over it.

Turns out it was just some crap on the screen and no de-lamination at all. After cleaning it with some windex it was like new again

How STUPID of me 😇😇😇

I do love this charging thing at home though. I calculated things out at it will cost me $1.08 Canadian for a 0-100% charge at night for 184 km

You gotta love that.

I am very happy that it was just goo on my screen and there was no issue with it.

Take care

Bill Kemp

·
Registered
181 Posts
Glad it isn't an issue. I don't know how prevalent the issue is but my part has been on back order for months now and the dealer had several on order. I have seen a few others with the issue as well. So I don't if there were a bad batch or maybe several. I've seen quite a few of the instrument clusters for sale on fleabay. I'd say don't be surprised if it happens to yours.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mine is fender to fender (bumper to bumper so to speak). So it covers the electronics, motor, etc. The battery would be covered under the factory warranty for the first 5 years.

Keep in mind calendar aging and keeping it charged to a high level when not needed will deteriorate the battery. Keeping it at a high charge level for an extended period of time in high temps is about the worst thing you can do to the battery. Don't want to run it to 0% either. Ideally in the 20-80% charge range is about the best balance between usability (range) and minimizing degradation.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info on the battery level.

Here in Canada bike riding season is coming to a close quickly so it will be in the garage for the winter.

The garage does not go below freezing but it does get cold. I guess I will have to figure out what level to keep the battery at for the winter

Any thoughts

Bill

·
Registered
181 Posts
Read up on the long term storage of the LW. If more than 3 months, I think you need to take out the small 12v battery. I'd probably keep the main RESS at about 20-30%. I am not sure how much phantom drain it might experience so it may discharge a little bit over time. Maybe there are others on here who've stored over winter. I am where I can likely ride all year round except for maybe a few weeks in Jan or when there is snow.

I think I saw a thread somewhere here on winter storage. Maybe search and see what you find.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks

My bike did not come with an owners manual as it was used and the dealership said the original owner did not turn it in with the bike

I have one on order as well as the shop manual but they are on back order like everything right now.

😩😩😩

1 - 20 of 27 Posts