Livewire Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

LAPD recently added a Zero MMX to their patrol fleet.

“There are major benefits to incorporating these environmentally friendly motorcycles. It costs less than 50 cents to charge compared to using gallons of gas, maintenance is simple, and the community appreciates how quiet they are,” reports Officer Steve Carbajal of the L.A.P.D. Off-Road Unit. “Most importantly, our officers have an added tactical advantage while on patrol.”
STEALTH.

Its not just LAPD either, PD's in Columbia and Hong Kong have also purchased several ZERO's for patrol and response use. ZERO actually funs a fully vested fleet service for Police.

Harley is already the traditional favourite of North American PD's, perhaps the Livewire can continue that? ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Harleys are often used as police motorcycles so I could see the Livewire being used by police forces in the future. I think that people would definitely appreciate the quietness of these bikes compared to how loud a traditional Harley is. Also means that they can be more stealthy when they pull up to give people tickets.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LAPD is usieng the zeros for patrol in areas like boardwalks and parks, not a pursuit type vehicle...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I bet that cop is missing being on a traditional harley, at least with how much more quiet this is it will make them talking over the radio while on the bike much easier.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Why do you think that they are only using them in parks and boardwalks? Are they not fast enough to be trusted with a high-speed pursuit?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its fairly logical I thought. Would you rather a V TWin rumbling while you're enjoying some frozen ice on the baordwalk, or would you rather an electric whizz go by?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I can also see these being used for some traffic enforcement, anything low demanding, nothing that requires what a v twin can do.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Its fairly logical I thought. Would you rather a V TWin rumbling while you're enjoying some frozen ice on the baordwalk, or would you rather an electric whizz go by?
So you think it is more about being nice to people on the boardwalk, and not about the bikes being unsuited for other roads?

·
Registered
233 Posts
So you think it is more about being nice to people on the boardwalk, and not about the bikes being unsuited for other roads?
That's what I was thinking.
And if you think about it, noise doesn't really impact them that much. You don't really go to most beaches like this that would have lots of people and city services their all the time for a Zen environment.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok instead of me answering your questions, why dont you guys answer mine.

Why would you think the Livewire is "unsuited for other roads" or that its "not fast enough to be trusted with a high-speed pursuit" or that its incapable of "what a v twin can do."

????

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ok instead of me answering your questions, why dont you guys answer mine.

Why would you think the Livewire is "unsuited for other roads" or that its "not fast enough to be trusted with a high-speed pursuit" or that its incapable of "what a v twin can do."

????
I am just assuming that there are plenty of motorcycles and cars that can outrun a ZERO. It might work better in areas where they are dealing mainly with pedestrians.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yup, a Zero might have good 0-60 but top end is questionable.

Like you said, it will probably be ideal for the city.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup, a Zero might have good 0-60 but top end is questionable.

Like you said, it will probably be ideal for the city.
whats questionable about the top end? there are essentially no limitations in terms of gearing, if you think a 1000 pound bagger is more suited to high speed pursuit (which motorcycles actually don't do regardless), well then theres really no response to that...

Oh and as an aside, I'm surprised y'all went with speed, top end, unsuitable road conditions and not the elephant in the room, you know RANGE....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts