Livewire Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Interesting vid. I had 3 of the bikes mentioned and my friend has the Yammie. I have to say the ELW is the best daily ride for me as long as the range if fine for the day.

My energy costs are substantially less than Jack's so overall TCO is less. A big TBD on the actual resale of the Livewire in the future. Interesting to see how the HD ELW vs the LW1 resales pan out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't think there will be no difference for ten years
Then the OG will have some collectors value. Though if Harley goes under it could go both ways. So very hard to know. See fortnines you tube analysis of that financials.

I think the key is livewire getting free enough of Harley yet keeping access to the manufacturing and supply chain as much as possible.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Harley-Davidson was a great benefactor of the pandemic motorcycle market. While things might have looked grim a few years ago, they really turned the company around. The new Pan America and Sportster S are chef's kiss machines. HD is one of the most valuable brands in the world. If they hit hard times again, someone will put money into it.

I expect the ELW resale value to track well with other Harley-Davidson motorcycles. HD is big on keeping resale values high as it helps with the sales of new bikes.

Looking forward, there's a good chance that the LiveWire is a future classic, being the first HD electric motorcycle -- an outstanding machine with very low production numbers. The styling is also distinct and likely not to be copied with a future motorcycle. For practical purposes, the LiveWire was/is a moonshot halo motorcycle for the brand and now, the new company. I paid less than $18k for mine new, between inflation and classic status, I plan on holding onto it for a long while and don't expect to lose a dime on it.

Every electric bike maker is getting into the motorcycle business (history repeats itself). The trend is towards cheaper electric motorcycles. The DelMar doesn't have the sophisticated motor placement or DC fast charging -- it's a simpler, lower cost, high margin machine with emphasis on urban/suburban fun.

Won't the ELW/LW1 become obsolete? Motorcycles don't have the same kind of product lifecycles as smartphones or even cars. It's not unusual for motorcycle manufacturers to produce the same basic machine for decades. You think that the Nissan GT-R or Dodge Charger are getting old? Kawasaki has been selling the KLR650 virtually unchanged for 35 years.

There's no amazing battery innovation on the near time horizon that's going to result in a dramatic weight reduction or dramatic increase in power density. It will be a long time before you see solid state batteries end up in a bike. If there is such a dramatic innovation, I'll go with an aftermarket RESS for my LiveWire when the time comes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hmm you should watch the video. Average age of riders is getting up there. Every time I am at the dealer I am one of the younger people and I am almost 50. Though I have seen more younger women interestingly in the HD shop. Specifically buying bikes I mean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts