1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
200 Posts
Being a $30k bike I can tell you right now that it will be marked up. The buyer demographic is very specific and dealers know how to play the game.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dealer markups are only going to further push people to competing models, but that's the reality of a limited production product. HD would be wise to also consider some sort of incentives/rebates for those trading in a current Harley towards the Livewire.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not to mention the additional delivery charges and taxes on top of the MSRP. Does anyone know where the Livewire is being manufactured? Are we also going to have to worry about tariffs and duties?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that they opened a new manufacturing facility in Thailand, so that might be where most of their newer models are being made. Its really unfortunate that this American company has been forced to move overseas just to avoid all these new tariffs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
They are doing what it takes to survive and retain some profitability. You can bet that if it was cost effective for them to stay in NA that they would have chosen to do so.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The economics of scale should mean that Harley should be able to bring an electric bike to market for less than their smaller rivals like Zero or Lightning. But they have already said that the Livewire wont be a mass market product, which makes it seem like they don't really know who their target audience is for this product. It should preview a new line of HD branded EV's.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If sales of the Livewire don't go as planned, I wonder if HD will continue to invest in electric platforms. It might make sense for them to transition to other segments of personal transportation, like we've seen with their concept scooters and e-bikes. New markets might be the best way for them to bring new buyers to the brand.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I see the Livewire as a way to test the markets in a way that will do little harm to Harley's stability as a company.
After seeing those early prototypes a few years ago that were put in the hands of the public, with positive feedback given and still happening to day, i feel Harley have few things to worry about.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They've spent a lot of money in r&d bringing the Livewire to market, and that is not risk free. With the response that we've seen online, they should already realize they have been over aggressive with where they've chosen to set it, especially with the claimed specs that will be even lower in the real world.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did place an order but can not find out when this bike will finally be available.
Talking to the dealer yesterday, they should leave the US by end of September at the latest, while the trip to Europe would probably takes 3 to 4 weeks ??????????????????????
Even demo bikes aren't available!
Let's hope we get them before the snow..................................maybe for Christmas!
The Sales rep to which I was talking was really disappointed as even for the other models, HD is not able to deliver! Out of a dozen of new bikes only two will be seen at events planned 6 months ahead!
Well done HD keep on acting this way and you will be losing ground year after year (as since 2017).

·
Registered
200 Posts
That has me a bit concerned even for when it comes to servicing and getting parts for these during the first year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Latest news this morning : your bike will be here first half of November ?
As I was the one asking for, I bet even November 15th is going to be challenging for them.
Time will tell!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Latest news this morning : your bike will be here first half of November ?
As I was the one asking for, I bet even November 15th is going to be challenging for them.
Time will tell!
Press them for updates leading up to November 15, who knows, they might be on track.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts