Livewire Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that initial shock has worn off it dawned on me just exactly what the Livewire is about.

Its about market domination.

I honestly believe that if harley can build a bike that pretty with capabilities equal or superior to the ZERO bikes they will have the segment completely sewn up before any rivalries are allowed to establish themselves. Consider HD's position in the cruiser market, sure there are rivals that build competent bikes but they're relatively irrelevant, HD is the standard. Now if they can establish that type of dominance at this stage of the life cycle they can enjoy domination long term.

ZERO dealers are few and far between keeping purchase and service highly localized, the Japanese are not even close to entering the electric bike segment, well kind of but nothing as production ready as the Livewire.

If they can leverage their dealer network by outfitting them with charging stations, they already have a HUGE advantage over the competition...

·
Registered
233 Posts
that's what i always thought about this from the very start, they can claim that they were the first which is powerful especially when it's a brand as big as harley is.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Right now the electric motorcycle industry is pretty small. There are only a few small companies who are really active, and they only make electric bikes. HD has the advantage of being able to invest money that is made from the profits of selling their other bikes.

In the long term HD's competition will not be companies like Zero, it will be the other motorcycle manufacturers like BMW and Ducati, etc... Those companies will have the resources to mass produce and invest in R&D. Some of them already have made concepts of electric bikes, which really puts them on about the same footing as HD.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't say it puts them on equal footing with HD. Harley has created a concept sure, but its more of a production concept. They have the bikes touring the country and are willing putting them into customers hands. No concept bike has ever been bestowed that pleasure ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
getting to this stage where they have bikes that look like production models does really help, a lot of catching up for other companies.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
getting to this stage where they have bikes that look like production models does really help, a lot of catching up for other companies.
Where harley is at a disadvantage is in terms of research. Honda and BMW both have plenty of experience and money dumped into hybrid programs which you just know will crossover to the moto programs, especially at HOnda....

·
Registered
233 Posts
That is true, they have vehicles on the road already with that technology and just need to apply it to bikes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts