Livewire Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I have a 142km (88 miles) round trip to work, which includes about 60km of freeway at 110km/h (~70 miles/h), 50km of nice countryside curlies and about 32km of city traffic, do you think I’d be able to use a Livewire to commute to work every day (without having a charging point at work)?

Thanks for any input (before I put down a deposit on the bike).

·
Registered
127 Posts
If I have a 142km (88 miles) round trip to work, which includes about 60km of freeway at 110km/h (~70 miles/h), 50km of nice countryside curlies and about 32km of city traffic, do you think I’d be able to use a Livewire to commute to work every day (without having a charging point at work)?

Thanks for any input (before I put down a deposit on the bike).
It will be a close call but it is doable.My longest rides so far have been of 87 and 95 miles. Both rides mostly highway at an average of 60mph.The 87 mile ride I had 18% battery left and the 95 mile ride I had 11% left. I would also suggest to ride in ECO mode.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My first inclination is that the Livewire isn't ideal for your commute, if you genuinely have no ability to charge during the work day.

I think you probably would have enough range to make the trip when the bike is new. However, as the battery gets older your range will decrease. This decrease doesn't mean a lot for people like me who use the Livewire as a city bike/weekend toy, but if you are using the bike for a lengthy commute it might not be sufficient after a few years.

That being said, do you have any opportunity to charge at work? The commute you describe won't need fast/level 3 charging. A standard outlet will add about 10 miles (16 km?) per hour of charging ( side note: I think your voltage is 240 as opposed our 120 volt standard, although I understand the Livewire charges at the level 1 [120 volt] rate even when it is plugged in to a 240 volt outlet?). So if you are able to find an outlet to plug into while you work, the range of the 'Wire will be more than adequate.

So, if you want an excuse to buy a Livewire AND you are able to plug in at work, I'd say go for it. If your employer sucks and doesn't allow you any opportunity to plug in, the bike might not meed your needs.

I hope you are able to find a way to charge at work. The 'Wire is an extraordinarily fun bike to ride. I've enjoyed every minute riding it, and I think you will too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first inclination is that the Livewire isn't ideal for your commute, if you genuinely have no ability to charge during the work day.

I think you probably would have enough range to make the trip when the bike is new. However, as the battery gets older your range will decrease. This decrease doesn't mean a lot for people like me who use the Livewire as a city bike/weekend toy, but if you are using the bike for a lengthy commute it might not be sufficient after a few years.

That being said, do you have any opportunity to charge at work? The commute you describe won't need fast/level 3 charging. A standard outlet will add about 10 miles (16 km?) per hour of charging ( side note: I think your voltage is 240 as opposed our 120 volt standard, although I understand the Livewire charges at the level 1 [120 volt] rate even when it is plugged in to a 240 volt outlet?). So if you are able to find an outlet to plug into while you work, the range of the 'Wire will be more than adequate.

So, if you want an excuse to buy a Livewire AND you are able to plug in at work, I'd say go for it. If your employer sucks and doesn't allow you any opportunity to plug in, the bike might not meed your needs.

I hope you are able to find a way to charge at work. The 'Wire is an extraordinarily fun bike to ride. I've enjoyed every minute riding it, and I think you will too.
Thank you for your detailed response! The building we're in isn't owned by the company... and doesn't have any power outlets in the car park... but I'm going to have to pursue the matter further. I am keen on the Livewire. :cool:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thank you for your detailed response! The building we're in isn't owned by the company... and doesn't have any power outlets in the car park... but I'm going to have to pursue the matter further. I am keen on the Livewire. :cool:
Hi there, any chance of taking a LW into the building? No noise or exhaust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There has to be a level 1 or level 2 charger nearby in a indoor garage. What do the electric car commuters do?
There's a Tesla dealership just down the road (with their superchargers)... but I understand the Livewire can't be charged at those.

...but Australia (and the state of New South Wales in particular) is a bit behind the eight ball on EV's at the moment! :-(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts